Logo

Replacing Flapper Valves 1998 43

"They are easy to change.
The

"They are easy to change.
They are at the top of each side of the Y pipe.
You get to them by removing the cast aluminum down elbows, that are kind of a folded back elbow. Just undo all the band clamps and pull it loose. If the rubber couplers are stuck in place you can loosen them by prying gently with a dull table knife or a big screwdriver.

The old flappers slide easily out and the new drop into the slots in the top of the Y pipe. To make puttng the exhaust pieces back together easier, apply liberal amounts of soapy water to the insides of the rubber couplers.

Rod"

Thanks Rod for your help. I in

Thanks Rod for your help. I installed my flapper valves tonight on my 4.3 Chevy. You do have to remove the exhaust manifolds to install them. Make sure you get the right parts as I found out that my 4.3 has 3 differant flappers designs. Make sur you replace the manifold gaskets and glue them on to make installing easier.Anyone needs to ask questions I am willing to help.Steve

Steven;
Did you remove your m

Steven;
Did you remove your manifolds?
Or the riser/elbows?
Your points are well taken.
Often you can get enough flex on the rubber couplers to wiggle the elbows off without the need to remove the risers. But if the couplers are old and stiff it can be much easier to bite the bullet and unbolt the risers.

Rod

Back