Logo

Mercruiser 488 alternator conversion

raymanp

I posted a message earlier but

I posted a message earlier but cant find it now so will try again.

I purchased a boat a couple years ago which has a merc 488 engine. This engine uses a water cooled voltage regulater and when my battery stoped charging I suspected this item. I ended up purchasing a conversion kit and after pulling the power stearing and mounting it I found that I am not sure how to connect it electrically as the new alternator has a single wire and i cant find a diagram that explains this very well.

On top of everything I decided to rewire and change out my switch panel and now i cant get my engine started. I can hear the solenoid click but the starter doesnt do anything. I purchased a new book to see if it had any better diagrams to use but they dont jive. The control panel diagram shows a connection from pin 4 while the motor diagram shows nothing connected to pin 4.

Any ideas or experiences in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

"What year is the engine? You

"What year is the engine? You only need an 8 gauge orange or red wire from the output of the alternator (B+) to the starter where the battery cable connects. Disconnect the old regulator wires and the old stator wires.

When you turn the key, it sends 12 volts to the slave solenoid to energize it. The slave solenoid sends battery voltage to the starter solenoid via yellow w/red stripe wire. When the starter solenoid energizes it sends battery voltage to the starter field coils to turn the engine."

"Ah makes sense thanks so much

"Ah makes sense thanks so much and BTW it worked I basically tossed the diagrams except for a few parts and wired it the way it makes sense (your suggestion) and it is turning over now. Now i need to find out why it wont start but half the battle is over now.

Thanks again

Ray"

Back