Logo

Just bought a BMW powered boat need advice please

aquarookie

"Hi all,

I just bought a 21

"Hi all,

I just bought a 21' 1972 Fiberform cuddy cabin with a B190 engine. I don't know whether the outdrive is a MK1 or 2 yet. The boat has sat for 10 years (I know, that's not so good) but the previous owner has started it up for me (with a little tinkering and starting fluid) and it does go into gear. I would like to flush all fluids but I have no repair manual yet. What kind of engine oil should I use? Coolant? Stern drive fluid? (I have heard it's ATF, but what kind?).

Also, what should I check (drivetrain-wise) before the boat goes into the water? I know water should not get into the u-joints, and also it does have a rather deep growl which seems to be coming from between the engine and outdrive (bearing?), but I have not ran it long enough to really check it out (I want to change the fluids first).

Thanks in advance for any advice, I am a boat rookie
smile.gif
"

"hi julia
i dont kno

"hi julia
i dont know no a great deal about boats
but i own a falcon sports cruiser with a bmw b220 with a mk 2 stern drive. i have had to spend about £5000.00 on it so far. first i had to get the leg done. it had a corroded top casing, second hand £250.00, trim transmitter £250.00, when the oil was drained from the stern drive it had been contaminated with salt water, so all the bearings and clutch plates had to be replaced cost £1500. then the impeller had to be changed £60.00, then the oil cooler went £500.00, Then the exhaust manifold corroded through still waiting for the parts 1 month so far cost £1700.00.Exhaust riser belows £60.00. You do need to make sure these things are sound Before you take your boat out. I was on a 30 ft cruiser on december 28th 07 that sunk 6 miles of the coast of southend because of a overheating problem that melted the belows and filled the engine bay with water and sunk the boat in 15 minuits. your outdrive uses atf dextron fluid. my boat had a rattle when i bought it and it tuned out to be the flywheel bolts were all loose. this is not common its usually the drive shaft uj's. dont run the engine without water running through the intakes or it will melt the impeller in a few seconds hope i have been of some help

steve"

"Steve,
Thank you for the rep

"Steve,
Thank you for the reply and all the information. Wow, sounds like you had a bad experience with yours!
thumbs_down.gif
So I guess all your problems started with a corroded casing? Mine looks good from what I can tell, it has sat in a field for 10 years, and it does not look like it has ever really been in salt water. But that noise does bother me. If it is the UJ's, that sounds expensive. I am hoping to check into it soon enough."

"Steve,
Thank you for the rep

"Steve,
Thank you for the reply and all the information. Wow, sounds like you had a bad experience with yours!
thumbs_down.gif
So I guess all your problems started with a corroded casing? Mine looks good from what I can tell, it has sat in a field for 10 years, and it does not look like it has ever really been in salt water. But that noise does bother me. If it is the UJ's, that sounds expensive. I am hoping to check into it soon enough."
Hi,
aquarookie have you been able to find any parts for the motor?

Back