Logo

91b Ford PCM dies when put in gear but runs if I gun it

rfloren

"1991 Ford PCM 351 240hp inboa

"1991 Ford PCM 351 240hp inboard boat is a ski brendella. engine/trans ran great last week. This week when i ease into gear (forward or reverse) the engine dies, but if I just gun it, it works fine. I raised the idle but it just dies faster. we had a bolt come loose on transmission linkage arm and I put it back on, in the process I've fiddled with idle and carb adjustments, but because it runs and idles, i don’t think it is engine related but some how it is related only to putting it into gear. I'm pulling my hair out here and could really use some help. Thank you :~)"

Sounds like it may be a worn/d

Sounds like it may be a worn/dirty carb. Mine had the exact symptoms several years ago.

Ethanol is horrible stuff and may have gummed up your carbs innards.

"Oldmako - Did you rebuild, re

"Oldmako - Did you rebuild, replace, or just give the carb a good cleaning to resolve? I'm getting exactly the same problem with a 351 PCM in a 1985 Malibu Skier."

"I replaced it. I took it off

"I replaced it. I took it off to rebuild it, but it was so gummed up inside that I just punted. I got a rebuild from a guy on ebay for $240 (I think) with $40 exchange on my old one. I think the place was called carb care in Placentia CA. Ask for Hector.

That was 4 or 5 years ago. It's run fine ever since."

Does your boat run and throttl

Does your boat run and throttle up in neutral or does it stumble in neutral as well. I had problems with bad fuel and experienced similar symptoms. Also check your fuel/water separator. That is an easy way to tell if you have a lot of water running through your system.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Thanks everyone for your help!! I had the carb rebuilt changed the fuel water separator and had pertronix ignition installed. Runs like a dream!!

Back