Logo

Starting issues 57 mer

hoseman

Contributing Member
"Hello ,I am back again for yo

"Hello ,I am back again for your help.I have a 1991 5.7 350 mer.I have been having trouble at the dock (after sitting for days)and at starts after the boat sits for an hour or so while on the water.The touble is when you turn the iginition switch you get nothing but a noise like a switch is opening or shutting to make a circiut.I then keep trying for several (9 - 15 ) times and finally the motor fires right up no lag in the starter .any possible solutions? Bad connection or is it time for a new starter"

update I have been just told t

update I have been just told there is a starter assist solenold by the carb. Here I need to check if 12volts are comming off one of the large bolts. Is this where I need to start?

"Sounds like a bad starter sol

"Sounds like a bad starter solenoid.
Cheaper to replace just the solenoid rather than the whole starter.
When problem happens, have someone hold key in start position and give solenoid a tap and see
if starter engages. If so, your solenoid is sticking. GM starters are famous for this."

It could be the slave solenoid

It could be the slave solenoid. They don't last forever. Just jump the two big copper studs and see if the starter kicks into action.

Back