Logo

Volvo Penta 285 Goose Neck Question

fire388

I have a volvo penta 285 outdr

I have a volvo penta 285 outdrive that I just replaced the risers and exhaust manifolds on I also noticed the goose neck on the outdrive had some water leaking from it while it was out of the water.There was water coming from the seal below the fork under the goose neck. My question is do I have to disassemble the outdrive to pull it away so I can replace this seal? The seal is again located under the the top of the fork that holds the outdrive.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

"As always El. Appreciate the

"As always El. Appreciate the Great advice.
I ordered the goose neck. I attached a picture and in the picture it shows where the water was leaking from. I am pointing with a pen to where the location of the water leak was coming from just below the fork under the goose neck cover. So I should be OK! with just replacing the goose neck and seal right?
191734.jpg
Gooseneck Pic

"John, I'm afraid I misrea

"John, I'm afraid I misread your post. If the leak is indeed where you say it is, then you have a bigger problem. Look at the link:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/INTERMEDIATE_HOUSING_AQ270/dm/cart_id.497973580-- category_id.333012--list_time.1214505132--session_id.217170413--store_id.366--vi ew_id.325912

At the top of the water tube 23 there is a bearing (part 12) and two seals part 13. If the seals are gone, then water will reach the bearing and ruin it. To fix that problem, then you need to take the whole outdrive apart, remove the water tube from the intermediate housing, then install a new bearing and seals. This manual tells you how to.

http://www.mybayliner.co.uk/boatmad/280285290.pdf

However, this type of failure is not the most common, and you would have likely felt roughness/looseness in the bearing as well if this was the problem. What I would do before dismantling anything is to seal with duct tape the water intake grids in the lower gear unit, then plug the drain hole at the bottom of the lower gear assembly (forward of the oil drain plug), then pressurize the water tube through the raw water hose connector; you can do this from the inside of the boat by disconnecting the suction side of the raw water pump and connecting a garden hose to the suction pipe). If water indeed comes from the area you say, then you know for sure what the problem is. And in that case, I'm afraid you will have to tear apart the intermediate housing and replace seals an bearing."

Back