Logo

From close to open cooling system

claude

Hi there
For a Merc 260-350 &

Hi there
For a Merc 260-350 (1989) The water pump is shot on the closed cooling system (500$...ouch) Would it make sense (and cheaper) to retrofit all the parts from a fresh water system ????
Cheers
Claude

Sorry guys
I think my initial

Sorry guys
I think my initial message was not accurate !
I actually have the salt water cooling system (the closed system) and since the sea water pump is shot (that's the 500$) would it be cheaper to install a ''fresh water system'' ? Of course i'm now only using the boat in fresh water
Thanks

Still I would take Rod's s

Still I would take Rod's suggestion. Less worry about cracked blocks in the winter and rusted out freeze plugs with a closed water cooling system as long as you maintain it with the porper amount of anti-freeze (also known as an anti-corrosive as well)

"I too would just leave it clo

"I too would just leave it closed water cause you never know what you might run through, like muddy water, brackish water or even water that hsa a high iron content causing rust where you don't want it..JM2C"

Claude:

You have a closed &

Claude:

You have a closed (FWC) Fresh Water Cooled system that uses antifreeze as the Fresh Water. The heat exchanger is (RWC) Raw Water Cooled by sea water.

Pay for the pump!

"FYI are you paying a marina m

"FYI are you paying a marina mechanic to do the work for $500? If so you are getting off lucky, $500 is cheap! I found some paperwork from the guy I bought my boat from and he had the Alpha 1 outdrive serviced including new raw water pump and oil change and it was $1200. The parts are fairly cheap and the reason why this board exists is because cheap bastards like us prefer to do the work ourselves
"

"I can't for the life of m

"I can't for the life of me imagine how any change in configuration is going to change the fact that you need to circulate sea(raw)water through something (either the engine itself or a heat exchanger) to remove heat from the engine.

Regardless the type of system (RWC or FWC), there are two circuits and two pumps... one on the engine that circulates water through the engine (just like a car), and one that supplies cool raw water to either the engine itself or the heat exchanger and pushes the hot raw water out of either the engine or the heat exchanger, then out through the risers. You can't just eliminte one of the pumps.

Is the pump completely shot? Typically all you're looking at is an impeller kit... $50."

PugentSounder:

I prefer to

PugentSounder:

I prefer to be known as a BBB; Bastard Boat Banker. I want to hold onto my moolah!

Troy:

One must have the mechanical gene in his DNA to be able to fathom the turning of a screw and the eventual result of said turned screw. Knowing that humans have two cooling systems and how they work is just like a FWC boat engine. When one's internal engine is hot it causes more coolant to move to the skin surface called perspiration to remedy said situation.

At the same time one's internal cooling system sends a signal to its brain which is the Capt. who interprets the signal and reacts immediately by sending the order "she's getting hot; send down 3 beers to the engine room for now; more later if need be." The Capt. then calls out "steady as she goes; keep an eye on those temperature and pressure gauges and be smart about it now." Thus the two cooling systems have prevented a breakdown at sea. Shiver me timbers lads! Don't want her to take on any more water she can't handle. Eye eye Capt.

Back