Logo

O Ring

F

Frank MacKay

Just reinstalled my alpha i Ge

Just reinstalled my alpha i Gen i sterndrive after changing the gimbal bearing and bellows. and I just realized that I put and o- ring in the wrong place. There's two that go on by the knuckle joint (U-joint) and another on the other side of the bearing as the spline enters the engine. I put that one on the end of the drive shaft as i shoved the stern drive back together so now its on the same side as the other two. Do you think there may be problem there?

"So you have two in the correc

"So you have two in the correct grooves that are now inside the inner gimbal bearing race, and one the will now be sandwiched between the shoulder of the U joint and the gimbal bearing, is that it?

As long as you were able to bolt up the drive without much force I think you will be OK. Did the drive slide easily right up flat to the mount; or did it have to be drawn into place the laast 1/2 inch with the nuts?

Rod"

"Yeah I had to draw it in with

"Yeah I had to draw it in with the nuts and had a bit of a struggle getting it together, the bell housing was not the original but a used replacement as the original was cracked. So it probably was the o-ring being in the wrong place. I could pull it apart and switch it around. Thanks"

Frank;
That is what I would d

Frank;
That is what I would do; otherwise you will have it in your mind that it is just not right. It's not a great deal of work to do a fast drive leg R&R.

Rod

"Alphas before about 1994 did

"Alphas before about 1994 did not have the third groove in the input shaft; only the two at the gimbal bearing.

Mount kits usually have all 3 O rings included, and this makes it confusing. If your input shaft does not have the 3rd groove, leave the 3rd O ring out.

Rod"

Thanks for the information. I&

Thanks for the information. I'll let you know how I make out.
Frank

"Well had one hell of a time r

"Well had one hell of a time removing the stern drive! Pulled it out finally and the new gimbal bearing was frozen on the drive shaft! The o-ring in question was sitting harmlessly next to the u-joint. installed another gimbal bearing, saturated it with grease, lined up with the alinement tool and it wouldn't slide in. Will try again tomorrow, ran out of time?!"

Gimbal bearings are a tight fi

Gimbal bearings are a tight fit over the yolk shaft with O ring in place.
Try measuring the ID of the bearing and the OD of the shaft where the ring grooves are. There should be a few thou clearance.

Rod

Got it back together by myself

Got it back together by myself in 15 min! Trim switches function - ok and in the water - beautiful!! Purring like a kitten. Today is a good day. Thanks to everyone for the info.
Frank

Back