Logo

Mercruiser 43 liter replacement

liberty

"Hi guys,
Looks like this is

"Hi guys,
Looks like this is really helpful forum.
I'm thinking to buy deck boat with "Mercruiser 4.3 liter 6 cylinder Chevrolet". Current owner told me the engine doesn't work: "A hole developed in the manifold. When I ran the boat it sucked water into the engine and the excess pressure caused a valve spring to break causing further damage". Probably the engine has to be rebuild or replaced.
What is the best approach? Where can I get replacement and how much does it cost?
I'm used to rebuild jetski engines and have some experience with car engines but this is my first time with inboard engines. Thanks for your help!"

"Get the water out now if you

"Get the water out now if you are going to rebuild it! What year is the engine? If it is not a Vortec then I wouldn't bother rebuilding it. Buy a complete new or reman. longblock and add your components to it. Or, better yet, buy a complete "drop-in" engine for about $4,500. Everything is new and you don't have to fool around trying to change over old parts to the new block. I'll send you some emails on engines."

"The boat is 2001 so I think t

"The boat is 2001 so I think the engine is the same year.
Quick newbie question - what is Vortec, what is longblock and what is Alpha and Beta?
Thanks."

"Vortec is the newer style GM

"Vortec is the newer style GM small block heads. They breath much better than the previous style.
Alpha One is the drive; it should have a decal on it so stating. Yours will be a Gen II, which has been in continuous production since 1991. It should be a 1.81 ratio (stamped on the decal, top port side of the drive.)

Guy's advice about a drop in package is the way to go. That way you are starting with everything new. Longblock means engine complete and assembled, but not including accessories such as carb, starter, alt, PS pump, manifolds, etc. If you go this way, you will save some money, but you will have to swap over all the accessories to the new engine.

Rod"

Thanks for info. Now I underst

Thanks for info. Now I understand all of this much better. I'm going to take a look to the boat tomorrow and will capture all information I need.
What should I pay attantion to?
What models or other information can be useful?

"Are you doing this yourself?

"Are you doing this yourself?
If so, you would be well advised to get a full repair manual and study it hard before you start.
Seloc and Clymer have good general manauls, or you can use the link a few posts down graciously provided by Bondo to download what you need.

For the job you are doing a Merc installation manual is a good thing to have. They have a wealth of handy information.

Rod"

"I don't think I'm goi

"I don't think I'm going to rebuild the engine by myself. To afford this boat I'm going to sell my pontoon boat
and I don't really want to stay without boat for the summer. So probably the best choice in my situation is a drop in package. Thanks to Guy Gaspar, he gave me couple links to ebay. If you have any other sources don't hesitate to post it here or PM me. I think in this case moderator agree that isn't advertisement, that will be straight answer to my question. I googled a bit but you opinion is worth any awesome ads.

Thanks."

"Artiom:

PUT A REMOTE OIL D

"Artiom:

PUT A REMOTE OIL DRAIN KIT ON THE NEW ENGINE!!!
Match the year of your current engine with the replacement year range. You have a Vortec engine. If you buy a drop-in package engine, the one you remove can be stipped down for spare parts or sold off piece-by-piece or as a used engine that needs work on eBay or locally.

The exh. mans. and risers should be OK (value $200-$500) unless used in saltwater. The alternator ($50-$100), starter ($50-$100), power steering pump ($50-$100), & cylinder assy. ($150-$350), , wiring harness ($50-$100), intake man. ($50-$100), dist. and ignition parts ($100-$650), ThunderBolt module alone is worth $200-$400, both heads not damaged could bring $150-$300, complete short block undamaged could bring $500-$1200. These values are just my opinion which means nothing since the value is in the eye of the buyer and the time of year you sell them; summer is highest sales value time.

Good luck."

"my name is j.d. call me at 30

"my name is j.d. call me at 307-390-7244 now. i have a complete 2007 4.3 carb model that i will sell you for 4,000 plus shipping. i live in wyoming."

"I just come back and get coup

"I just come back and get couple pictures. The guy said previous owner used the boat in salt water and didn't flush engine properly after. He has been told by his mechanic that why engine blows up. The drive is Alpha One. I haven't seen anything about Vortec on engine decals.
191746.jpg
Drive"">
191747.jpg
Drive serial"">
191748.jpg
Engine decal"">
191749.jpg
Engine"">
"

"I'm guessing that the wat

"I'm guessing that the water pump went due to not flushing out the salt causeing it to overheat, Correct???"

"[i]You might be looking at a

"You might be looking at a new outdrive sometime soon as well if he never flushed the saltwater out. - this is what I suspect gonna happen next

I'm guessing that the water pump went due to not flushing out the salt causeing it to overheat, Correct??? - not sure. Current owner told me it started from hole in manifold (see my first post in this thread)"

"Artiom:

The engine is a Vo

"Artiom:

The engine is a Vortec. The drive will be ok if the Mercathode system is working. Have it tested by the dealer.

Put the new complete drop-in engine in it if he is not asking much for the boat and trailer and you'll have a nearly new boat.
sun.gif
"

Back