Logo

Yamaha 99 Overheating

sailjumanji

"I have a catamaran sailboat w

"I have a catamaran sailboat with two 2002 Yamaha 9.9 hp High Thrust engines (FT9.9D). I had problems with both of them over the weekend, and disassembled and cleaned the carbs, and both seemed to work fine. We were motoring home this morning, and the starboard engine began to die. I opened the motor box and looked down, and it appeared to have steam coming off the back. The water was still streaming (pissing), but maybe only slightly less than normal. Motor died. The lower unit was hot to the touch. We had only been motoring about 30 minutes, and not pushing the motors hard. I checked the port engine (that was still running), and lower unit was cool, and water stream cool.

Let the starboard engine cool for a while, started it again, ran for a while, and checked it. Water stream maybe a little less than normal, but water hot, and lower unit hot, so shut it down for the day. We managed to sail most of the way home, and I started starboard engine just briefly at the end of the day to help maneuver at dock. Did not heat up, but did not run long either.

I had both water pumps changed 1-1/2 years ago, when I purchased the boat with two motors. Port engine pisses strong, but starboard engine has always been less, and showed no improvement with new impeller.

Thoughts on where to go from here? Do these engines have thermostats? Could that be the problem?

The engines sit in wells, and are a big PITA just to remove alone. If I have to do that, is it difficult to disconnect the remote throttle and power cables?

Could you recommend a shop manual? I am mechanically inclined, but bat about 0.500 when it comes to simple stuff like assembling carbs!

Mike

PS. The initial problems with the starboard engine required pumping the bulb when the motor began to die, to keep it running. I thought/hoped it was a sticking float, and hoped the carb cleanout fixed it. Could that be related to current symptoms?"

Back