Logo

Bent pushrod fuelpump on 283 Chev

T

TomTigue

" When replacing a fuel pump,

" When replacing a fuel pump, upon start-up, we heard a knocking sound, plenty of oil pressure,the mechanic said he head to replace the pushrod as it was slightly bent. I said it must have taken a lot of force to bend that rod as it is quite substantial. He said the pump is fine so I figured the cam bearing(s) must have been damaged. We took it all apart and the cam looks fine, no indication of damage on the bearings either. Tommorow, we pull the heads, waterpump and all and take the block out of the boat. It's a counter-rotating engine and the lifters and pushrods rods look fine. The mechanic is very experienced and says he will stand by any damage he may have caused...we are working on this together and no charge for his labor. He IS a good man...any ideas what may have happened? "

" Hi:
Would you know what the

" Hi:
Would you know what the firing order is on a Chev. 1963. 185 HP ,283 CI. this motor came out of a 32' Owens Pacemaker. Any info would be greatly apriciated.

Thanks
Richard. "

"Richard,

The following inf

"Richard,

The following info is from a Pacemaker Owner's Engine Manual... date unknown.

<UL>[*]Owens Pacer-185 [*]V8 [*]283 cid [*]185HP at 4000rpm [*]Firing order RH 12756348 [*]Firing order LH 18436572</LI>[/list]

I can supply a copy of the manual if you need it.

Good luck.

Regards,
Andrew Menkart
"

" Andrew,

Thank you very mu

" Andrew,

Thank you very much!! I am going to try to set up the timming this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Richard. "

" to TomTigue,
did u chek the

" to TomTigue,
did u chek the gearbox Tom ?
sometimes the oil level is too high making the oil pressure higher because its acting like a gear pump and makes some noise, anyway i hope it will be a simple problem ,
and let us know what s the problem.

Good Luck

Kiralla "

Back