Logo

Float Height Setting for a Zentih Carb

51lyman

"I have rebuilt the two Zenith

"I have rebuilt the two Zenith carbs on my 1950 Chrysler, and want to set the float heights. The instructions with the rebuild kits give various measurements for this which vary by float version and carb model number, neither of which match any info on the carbs, floats, or engine (!). Is there a way to find out where the correct level of gas in the float chamber is? That is, if I knew the gas should be at the top of the chamber but below the gasket, or something like that, I could figure it out from there. Any ideas? Thanks!"

"Grant,

You don't menti

"Grant,

You don't mention the Chrysler engine model or Carb model...

See this sheet from Zenith.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_pdf.gif""" align=left alt=""application/pdf"">Zenith Float Height
[url=""][b]zenith_float_settings.pdf[/b][/url] (88.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

"Andrew; You really have an am

"Andrew; You really have an amazing bag 'o tricks (or pdfs!). On that sheet is the right data, which matches what I have from the Zenith kits - trouble is, the references on the sheets don't corelate to the info I have on my carbs. My engine is 1950/51 Chrysler Crown Special, M47S. The brass discs on the two Zenith carbs say E780M 10970A, but that's all the info I have. In order to know which data to use I should have a Carburetor Series number, a Model number and a float number - but I can't find any cross-references that help. The kits I have worked great and are for Zenith Restorographs Series 63, 63M and 263M. The instructions further refer to Carburetor Model numbers 63AW10, 11, 12, 14 and 16 and two different float numbers (and my floats are unmarked). The float height setting could be 1 5/8"; 1 19/32" or 2 1/64" and I have a choice of two different fiber washer thicknesses to use on the fuel valve seat depending on which float I have (which, of course, aren't marked). So... I was thinking I'd skip the whole problem by trying to figure out the correct level of fuel in the bowl, and rigging up a sight tube to get the right fuel level - a sideways solution, but often successful. You're very kind to take on my problem! Thanks, Grant"

"Grant,

Not sure I can supp

"Grant,

Not sure I can supply much else that would help...

The Maintenance Manual for the M47S (dated 1959) calls for a Zenith 11426 Carburetor (I haven't checked the parts manual). It states: Float Setting 2-1/8" from gasket surface of body to top edge of float with float valve on seat."

"Thanks Andrew; I have that bo

"Thanks Andrew; I have that book too, but that's a later carb with a different style of float. Maybe someone else will weigh in. I do know that I can set the float through trial and error, but with two carbs, I might go crazy first!"

Back