Logo

Reccomendations on OMC 25 Seadrive

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
new.gif

OK! I'm about to buy a 1985 21' Regal(w/200 hrs) outfitted with an OMC 2.5 Seadrive O/B. I would appreciate any advice:

1. What is the HP of this motor?
2. When putting into forward and reverse it made a bit of a grinding noise.
3. When I removed the engine cover there was a small puddle of what looked like a gas/oil mixture - at the corner base of platform.
4. After running (on the hose) for about 5 minutes an alarm (steady tone) went off.
5. Both fuel gauges (one the tank and on the dash) showed empty when the seller assured me he had just put about 10 gallons of gas in last week.
6. Is there anything else I should know about this motor?

Thank you very much for your help. This would be my first boat.
smile.gif
"

"We can supply OMC Seadrive ma

"We can supply OMC Seadrive manuals, but I would need the model number as found on the motor. Post it here or send me an email and I will get back to you.

In the meantime maybe someone else can help with your specific questions."

"OMC SeaDrives--very popular f

"OMC SeaDrives--very popular for bashers. Everyone makes fun of them. When you get down to it, they are just OMC V-6 outboards with an integrated mounting system. My boat has them and I think they are the greatest. The only problem you may have is that some parts are made for SeaDrives only, such as certain steering and trim components. Those items are getting harder to find, and expensive. Used parts seem plentiful and cheap. Use the "unpopularity" to get a real bargain. My 27' Whaler was about 1/2 of what an outboard model would have sold for. Mine are 3.0 Liter engines. Those put out 225HP. The 2.6 Liter put out 200, I was told. I would imagine that yours is in the 175 to 200 HP range."

Thanks Sleeper - Your comments

Thanks Sleeper - Your comments echo my research thus far. I like the combination of an outbaord with a full transom - And I have the opportunity to pick up a low hour rig for a bargain price.

Anyone have a comment about the oil/gas puddle that accumulated at the bottom on the engine? - It was initially hard to start and took a bit of priming. Plus the gas was a bit old (then he mixed with new)

Thanks again!

"Great system, unfortunately t

"Great system, unfortunately to many bad installations killed the engines prematurely. (mainly fuel installations). Have ha quite some experiences with the 1,6 versions. Even modified the bracket on one and hooked on a 115SL-25inch on a 22 ft Windy Sport boat.Used the bracket trim system. Performed the same as a Volvo AQ 200 (V8). Your alarm is probably the temp. Watch out for the thermostat system and pressure valves"

Tnx Mort - I'll def look i

Tnx Mort - I'll def look into the thermostat and pressure valves. Now these aren't SeaDrive specific are they? Is there some interchangeability between these and some other OMC's?

"The dreaded curse of the SeaD

"The dreaded curse of the SeaDrive strikes again! In answer to your question in case you change your mind, not only are the powerheads the same as a standard outboard, if you ever want to convert a SeaDrive to a conventional outboard that's fairly simple too."

Back