Logo

Mystery outboard

J

John Richardson

"This is a great board full of

"This is a great board full of lots of info.

I have a chance to buy an outboard that the seller says is a Johnson 10 hp. The seller gave this model # OD275 then a 9 digit serial #

I checked the pre 1980 page but the closest I came was QD 24. Does the seller need new glasses or does someone recognize this as a different brand motor ? Is the 9 digit serial # sound right for an older Johnson ?

The seller is 2 hours from me and at $3/gal I would like to learn as much as possible before making the trip.

Thanks again for all the help.

John Richardson in Odessa, Tx."

"John,

I would say he might

"John,

I would say he might have had a hard time reading the numbers...

You assesment of the available numbers is right. How does he know it's 10HP? I wonder what it says on the cover? Did you tell you "about" what age the motor is?"

"The seller swears the cover i

"The seller swears the cover is red and white and
clearly labled Johnson 10 hp. He got the motor about 5 years ago and of course it " runs like a top"

Assuming it turns out to be a "QD2something" are parts for this series or range of engines still available ? Is this a real workhorse or a fancy filly ?

I guess I'll have to make the trip and take a wire brush, flashlight and magnifing glass with me 'cause I too have trouble seeing the small numbers LOL"

Back