Logo

Engine problems

dstorey

"Hi Geordie boy in trouble !!!

"Hi Geordie boy in trouble !!! No help in England. Volvo Penta AQ311B starts fine, runs fine out of gear at 5000rpm, in gear at 2200rpm misses intermittantly. renewed dist cap, rotar arm plugs, leads and coil. Suggestions to problem !"

An engine running in neutral o

An engine running in neutral only means that it is functioning. An engine can start and run with half the plug wires disconnected.
Was there a problem before you put in new components? Does your your distributor have points or is it breakerless? Is there a misfire as you accellerate in gear or is it only at high revolutions?

"dear eddie,
in answer to you

"dear eddie,
in answer to your reply , the unit has electronic ignition, and seems to misfire only around the 2200 rpm and over when in gear.
the new components were fitted in an attempt to solve the misfire problem.
i am hoping that it will only be carb adjustment
but i need advice if indeed it is"

A good carbuerator overhaul mi

A good carbuerator overhaul might be in order. Also could be a vacuum leak at the at the base of the carbuerator or intake manifold gasket.

"hate to seem ignorant, but 31

"hate to seem ignorant, but 311B?. are you talking about a 131? or have i missed something."

"Sounds like you need to chang

"Sounds like you need to change the ignition switch. Remove your switch, take it to a marine store and get one with the same number of wire terminals. When installing new switch be sure that the drain hole in the body of the switch is pointed down.

The same thing happens to automobiles but most people never run into the problem with cars because they usually get junked before that happens."

Back