Logo

King Cobra woes

wmiller

"My KIng Cobra would be a grea

"My KIng Cobra would be a great "don't let electrolysis do this to your boat" picture. It's now a dusty mess. So time for options, replacements don't seem to exist, no one makes an aftermarket drive... my list of how to fix it is pretty limited. Transom is rock solid wondering if the cutout for a Bravo one is bigger or smaller? Also curious if a regular king would bolt up (and hold up) 5700 lb boat/260 hp, idea's? thanks"

"Yes a standard cobra (I a

"Yes a standard cobra (I am assuming that's what you mean) outdrive will hold up, provided you have the correct gear ratio. You didn't give enough information to get a completly definate answer, as the newer type cone clutch drives do not interchange with the original drive and I don't know which one you have. It's like the difference between an Alpha and a Bravo. There was a King Cobra in the original type which was used on the 460 Ford powerplant (inception to very early 90s). This unit has plenty of beef to drive your boat. It phsycally will interchange with the standard Cobra drives, but without knowing which type you have, that is useless information."

"What did electrolysis do to i

"What did electrolysis do to it? I have an OMC 4.3L Cobra... 1989 (I'm a first-time boat owner)

Thanks,
Doug"

"Responding to Doug on the ele

"Responding to Doug on the electrlysis. I'm sure someone knows alot more about this than I do but this should get the info flowing. I think it can occur from utilizing your engine block as a ground with resulting stray current or due to the polar qualities of water, especially salt water, which can be thought of as mild battery acid with your outdrive the lead plates. Zinc anodes are designed to sacrifice themselves as electron donors and slow down this process but when depleted....your outdrive starts "dissolving". Use of dissimilar metals excellerates the process. I'm sure I'm gonna get corrected on some of this, but that's how us neophytes learn. If you trailer your boat and rinse it after use, touch up the paint now and then...you'll never have the priveldge on knowing first hand."

Back