Logo

No Spark 1965 Johnson seahorse

• Thread starter Inheiritancenightmare
  • Start date
I

Inheiritancenightmare

"Hey guys I haven't been o

"Hey guys I haven't been on since last year and somehow my username is not accepted so I hope this works.
I have checked the rotor and sanded all connections(It hasn't ran in 15 years). There is power to the starter and it turns over fine but no spark? Any suggestions. Thanks formerly, Inheiritancenightmare"

"sorry Joe I guess that makes

"sorry Joe I guess that makes it easier. It is a 60hp Model# VXL-110. Oh, and as you can guess there is no Kill swith on the dash. This is a 40 year old 16' runabout. It was my step fathers fathers. It hasn't been used in 15- 20 years. It was gifted to me last year and it has been a learning experience to say the least. Thanks for helping. Martin"

"The model numberof VXL-10 wou

"The model numberof VXL-10 would be a 1964 60hp Johnson. A VXL-11 would be a 1965 model.

Does it have automotive ignition (plug wire lead out of the top sides of the dist cap), or a magneto (plug wire lead straight down out of the bottom of the dist cap?

No doubt, sitting that length of time, the carburetor will need cleaning... adjustment setup follows.

What is the compression, and with the spark plugs removed and at cranking speed, do you see any spark at all. On that model, the spark should jump a 1/4" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame. Let me know.

(Carburetor Adjustments - Older V/4 Downdraft Carb)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: The early model downdraft carburetors incorporated "Adjustable High Speed Jets". The later model downdraft carburetors used "Fixed High Speed Jets". Follow the below instructions accordingly.

NOTE: If you do not have adjustable high speed jets, ignore those paragraphs pertaining to same...... BUT do make sure that you manually inspect and clean the two brass fixed high speed jets which would be located in back of the two 7/16" slotted hex head bolts in the bottom front portion of the float chamber.

Lift the center High Speed Control lever and turn it so that the point faces forward, resting on the high ridge. This will disengage the lever control gear from the individual high speed jets (slots). Have the slow speed needle valve knobs installed upside down so that they can be turned without encountering any obstruction.

Gently seat each of the High Speed needle valves, then back each one out one (1) turn. Gently seat each of the Slow Speed needle valves, then back each one out one and one half (1-1/2) turns. NOTE... have the jam nut on the s/speed needles snug so that viberation won't have any effect on them, but loose enough so that you can turn them without a great amout of effort.

(High Speed)
With a reliable person at the wheel, and one kneeling in front of the engine, start the engine (yes, it will run lousy with the above initial needle valve settings), put it into forward gear, and apply full throttle. Start with the High Speed adjustment on the left using a screwdrive that properly fits the slot.

(High Speed Adjustments)
At full throttle, with the proper size screwdriver, slowly start turning one of the H/S needles in segments of 1/8 turn, waiting momentarily for the engine to respond, then repeat turning. You will reach a point where the engine will start to die out. At that point, back that needle valve out approximately 1/4 turn. Now, go to the other High Speed needle valve and repeat that procedure. At some point in that 1/4 turn out, you will find the smoothest high speed setting (you can now lower the throttle rpm). That will have both high speed needle valves set correctly, and at that point you can lift that center lever adjustment of that high ridge, keeping it lifted until the point is facing the engine, then lower it into its proper position. (When you turn that lever now, you're adjusting both High Speed needle valves at the same time.)

(Slow Speed Adjustments)
Now, lowering the rpms of course, take the engine out of gear and set the throttle just to where the engine will stay running. Again, in segments of 1/8 turn, slowly start turning in one of the slow speed needle valves, waiting a few seconds between each turning for the engine to respond. As you turn the s/speed needles in, the rpms will increase..... and as it does, lower the rpms to where the engine will just stay running (otherwise the rpms will climb quite high). You will reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mjild backfire). At that point, back the needle valve out 1/4 turn. Repeat the process with the remaining slow speed needle. Again, at some point in that 1/4 turn out, you will find the smoothest setting. When finished, tighten the jam nut somewhat, then remove and reinstall the s/speed knobs correctly (right side up)."

"Hey Joe
That information is

"Hey Joe
That information is amazing. I never thought I would get such detailed instructions. With your help I will get this thing running after all.
As per your questions, it seems to have the magneto with the wires coming out of the bottom to the plugs. If it would help I could take a picture of it and include this as an attachment. Also I do not know the compression it seems to be quite strong. I can pick up a compression tester tomorrow if the results help determine the problems.
As far as the model # I think its a VXL-11o does this make sense? Thanks again Martin"

"P.S. Is there a specific carb

"P.S. Is there a specific carb cleaner I should use for outboard motors? Thanks Again, Martin"

"The VXL-11 makes perfect sens

"The VXL-11 makes perfect sense... 1965 60hp Johnson. If there's an Advantage Auto pats store in your area (formerly Discount Auto), they have a one gallon can of carburetor cleaner that has a cleaning basket in it... about $10.00.

There was also a spray available from OMC called Engine Tuner that cleaned carb parts quite well. I don't know what Bombardier calls it though.

The spark, if you haven't corrected that problem. Remove the s/plugs. Remove the black wire that leads from the side of the magneto to the dash (kill circuit). Leave the black wire leading to the points etc connected. If you now have spark, either you didn't have the key turned on when checking or there's a short in that black kill wire.

If still no spark, remove the dist cap and connect the spark tester wire dirctly to the button coil terminal. If you now have spark, replace the rotor."

"Hey Joe
I did the check for

"Hey Joe
I did the check for spark the way you said and there is no short and no spark. The voltage at the coil terminal is only 3.6 or so(it varies while turning over. So I guess I need a new rotor or more? I also have an old 60hp Evinrude at my Mothers I believe it is a 1965 as well. I am hoping that the rotor is the same or maybe if it has spark I should try to get it running? This is something I got almost 18 years ago and I never used it. My uncle had it for 15 years and he never used it. It was stored inside almost the whole time 30-35years. Tons of compression for the old girl. Please tell me if you think I should strip her down for compatable parts or get her running. Thanks again for your help, Martin"

"If you get no spark directly

"If you get no spark directly from the coil high tension button, that doesn't implicate the rotor as the rotor at the time isn't in play and has been removed.

If you haven't alreadyxx, remove the timing belt so that you can spin the pulley by hand... makes trouble shooting somewhat easier.

Could be dirty points, leaking condenser, or a faulty coils. Keep at it. Points set on the high lobe to .020. It only has one condenser so if it is bad, that would do it."

"Oh this is going to be fun.

"Oh this is going to be fun. I am definitly learning a lot. I checked my old Evinrude Model# 60653R for compatible parts and there is no spark there either. So I will check the condenser. How do I tell if it is leaking? Same with coils, how do I know if they are faulty. I have a fairly good digital voltage tester hopefully I can use it for this trouble shooting. Thanks again and I eagerly await your reply. Martin"

"Unless you have a condenser t

"Unless you have a condenser tester, the easiest way is to simply install a new condenser."

Can I still get a condenser fo

Can I still get a condenser for this motor?

"Yes, part #580256 at your loc

"Yes, part #580256 at your local dealership. If they don't have it or can't get it (can't get it is BS), let me know as I have a few left in my remaining stock."

"This sound like my Problem, h

"This sound like my Problem, have you got it going? I have a 1964 60 hp VXL 10s with wires coming out of bottom cap and have no spark!"

i have a old 1970 85hp motor m

i have a old 1970 85hp motor model 85esl70 hydro electric and im not getting any spark just put new pugs in and still nothing it been sitting for a few years but it turns over now what should i try please help

"Hello I have a 1965 60 hp sea

"Hello I have a 1965 60 hp seahorse just as explained in this forum .. I have no spark .. It ran a year ago and spark was never the issue.. always was fuel delivery.. but i went to fire it up and no spark .. cleaned cap electrodes and rotor .. I inspected the points , gap 0.20 and made sure they were ok .. as they were .. can anyone help me with this ??? Im axious to go out on the water... Thanks ,kyle"

Back