Logo

Running engine with out water

"This is my first spring with

"This is my first spring with a boat with inboards. I want to make sure things go as smooth as possible at launch time. The boat has a pair of crusader 270 with Walter V-drives. There is no were to put muffs on a lower unit for cooling, so how long can the engines be run without water? Also when the boat does get put in, is there any thing I need to do to prime the cooling system or bleed the air out? Thanks for any tips."

"How long will a dry rubber im

"How long will a dry rubber impeller spin inside a housing before it fries? (About as long as I took to type this.) I hope you didn't fire it up, to see how it ran without any water? If so, both impellers will need replacement.

With the boat in the water, you can fire the motors and see if they overheat. Assuming no one drained the FW cooling system, the air sould be gone. If they do overheat, and the nti-freeze level is okay, then get baqck to us.

Jeff"

"How fast of typer are you?

"How fast of typer are you?

No I have not run them yet, because I did not know if it were safe to. It is a raw water cooling system. So when the boat gets put in will the water get to the impellers on its own?

Thanks Steve"

I fashioned a flushing device

I fashioned a flushing device out of a plumbers helper and a hose adapter and it works for me.

".."So when the boat gets

".."So when the boat gets put in will the water get to the impellers on its own?"
Yes, if the seacoks are open! (Don't ask.)

As JayDub said, you can make up a device to run it on land. I disconnect the inley (to the raw water pump) hose and stick a garden hose up it.

Jeff

PS: I type reeeeeeally slow."

"Thanks for the info. I figure

"Thanks for the info. I figured it would force feed itself through the system, but was not sure, and dont need to be burning up cooling parts.

Thanks again for the input.

Steve"

Back