Logo

MERCRUISER 488 ELECRICAL QUESTIONS

arrowsniper

"I HAVE A 1984 488 188 HP MERC

"I HAVE A 1984 488 188 HP MERCRUISER ON A 4 WINNS. EVERY 3RD OR FOURTH TIME I START IT, THE STARTER WILL SEEM TO NOT DISENGAGE FROM THE FLYWHEEL FOR A FEW SECONDS AFTER THE ENGINE HAS STARTED. THE FIRST COUPLE OF TIMES THIS HAPPENED,I IMMEDIATELY TURNED THE KEY TO THE "OFF" POSITION, AND IT DID NOT STOP. I EVEN WENT AS FAR AS TO PULL THE KEY OUT, AND IT DID NOT STOP!!!! SCARY FEELING WHEN YOU CAN'T TURN YOUR MOTOR OFF!! ONCE THE MOTOR STARTS, AND THE STARTER EVENTUALLY DISENGAGES FROM THE FLYWHEEL, THE MOTOR CAN AND ALWAYS TURNS OFF BY USING THE KEYSWITCH. THE KEYSWITCH HAS BEEN REPLACED, ALONG WITH THE 2 SOLENOIDS, AS WELL AS A STARTER. ITS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THIS STARTER GETS WIPED OUT AS WELL....ANY HELP OR INPUT WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!"

"First of all, PLEASE let go o

"First of all, PLEASE let go of that caps lock. Okay?

The problem you have is that the starter drive is too close in mesh to the flywheel. The result is that it locks in the extended position and, since it has a ballast resistor circuit function, keeps the ignition ON even with the key off (as you have dramatically been shown). The repair is to properly shim the starter.

Jeff"

"Sorry about the caps lock, Je

"Sorry about the caps lock, Jeff, and thanks for your advice.
I have inquiered about this problem to many a mechanic, and no one came up with your answer----I will definately investigate your solution, and get to the bottom of my problem. I was wondering if a shorted wire (faulty ground to the ignition) could also be my problem. I am an electrician by trade, and finding a problem in the wiring would not be difficult.

Also, this boat came with only 1 battery, and the previous owner installed a second with a 1-2 both switch. I was wondering what the proper way to wire 2 batteries are, at the moment I believe that they are wrong, because 1 battery is always dead and won't charge. I know both owners of the boat before me, (the only owners), so finding out what they did to it would be quick and easier than spending a week investigating it. Like I mentioned, I am a construction electrician, and have limited experience with marine 12v wiring.

Any help again would be greatly appreciated and valued."

Back