Logo

STERNDRIVE ISSUE

S

supra253

Hey just decided to clean up t

Hey just decided to clean up the boat and tried to put the outdrive down. Its stuck in the up position. I unscrewed the Hydraulic hoses from the cylinders and was hoping they would lower but they didnt. I tested the pump and its pumping fine. Even though my boat was stored under a carport could the trim cylinders still both freeze up? Also shouldnt the cylinders lower if unhooked from the pump.

I took one of the cylinders of

I took one of the cylinders off and it still is stuck. Tried greasing the bearing before and no luck. I tried to lower the one cylinder still on the boat and it seems stuck also. Should the cylinder compress when unhooked from the lines

"Trim cylinders won't move

"Trim cylinders won't move unless the resistance to fluid flow is removed. If the lines are crimped, the oil can't flow and if the pump or a valve is frozen, it won't move so the fluid can cause the cylinder to pressurize on the side needed. If you remove the lines from the cylinders, you should be able to move it. If the oil is milky, you should replace it. You'll also be able to see if the trim pump works but you'll want to contain the oil coming form the ends of the lines. Clear vinyl tubing works for this and you can aim it into a container. Get enough for all of the lines.

Replacement trim pumps are available and you don't really need to replace the reservoir but you can get it both ways. When you refill it, just cycle it a few times and any air will be purged from the lines. It's not like brake lines where the air stays there."

Back