Logo

Do I have a weak fuel pump or something else

toonin4fun

"I have an 87' Johnson 110

"I have an 87' Johnson 110 that I just recently got running after it had sit for about 5 years. Replaced head gaskets and rebuilt/cleaned carbs and did the water pump. Took the boat out yesterday for the first time and it didn't run right when we first pulled away from the dock, wouldn't run when you give it gas just kinda fell on its face and died.
I kept messing with it and got it to run better. I went on to give it full throttle and at first I was dissappointed because the boat didn't do as much as I thought it should have like it was underpowered. Then the motor starting winding out a little at a time and when it finally wound out, I was impressed with the power. But it was short lived, after a short run like that it was like it ran out of gas and just fell on its face but would run ok at lower rpms. Wait a little bit and you could full throttle it again and it would wind fine for a short period and then again fall on its face like out of gas again. If you tried to go full throttle, it missed like it was starved for gas but you could back the throttle down a bit and it would smooth out for a minute then start missing again.
An hour later or so it got to where it wouldn't even run hardly,barely moved thru the water. I reach back to the primer bulb and when I squezzed it, the motor would come to life while I doing this, but when I stopped it went back to running badly again. Then a little later it started to run better again but still not like it should, wind out then fall on its face. If you brought it back to an idle and then tried to apply gas again it would die most of the time. But when you started it up and hit the gas, it went right on with it until it acted like it was out of gas again.
Sorry for the lengthy thread, but I was just trying to explain it the best I could so I could maybe get some insight if its the pump or something else to look at. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks......Doug"

Did you clean fuel filter also

Did you clean fuel filter also check all connection it could be a vacum leak or sucking air at one of the connections

After setting for five years t

After setting for five years time to rebuild the carbs and replace the fuel pump.
Whie you are at it replace all the fuel lines from the tank all the way to the motor.
Nothing beats that rubber like age.

Back