Logo

Help merc 470 no start

D

Dan Noonan

"9i have been throuth trouble

"9i have been throuth trouble and ended replace almost whole ignition system, but it still wont start. I am out of ideas. looking for anyone who can help"

i have the same enging and i h

i have the same enging and i have parts or the engine for sale!!! 641-454-3362

Why an engine won't start:

Why an engine won't start:

1. No gas

2. No spark

3. Out of time

4. Fouled plugs

5. Low cranking speed.

Go get 'em!

Jeff

"I also have a 470 with starti

"I also have a 470 with starting problems, when it is cold there is no problem starts on first revolution, but after operating for any lenght of time the engine doesn't want to turn over. I've changed battery and cables also rebuilt starter with no difference. This is something that has plauged me for a number of years now. Anyone got any answers?"

Don- is your timing at spec? T

Don- is your timing at spec? Too much advance usually makes it hard to crank at high temperature.

"YES JIM THE TIMING IS RIGHT O

"YES JIM THE TIMING IS RIGHT ON ,ONE OF THE AUTO MECH I KNOW SUGGESTED THAT THE ENGINE MAY BE SEIZING UP, ITS BEEN DOING THIS FOR A FEW YEARS NOW, IF IT WAS DOING THIS I WOULD THINK IT WOULD HAVE SEIZE SOLID BY NOW."

"Don- once it gets to normal o

"Don- once it gets to normal operating temperature, remove the spark plugs and turn the motor over manually with a ratchet wrench/socket on the crank pulley/balancer bolt, going clockwise. If it turns fairly easily, it may not be seizing. Have you had any oiling problems in the past? Maybe bad bearings."

"I'LL GIVE THAT A TRY JIM

"I'LL GIVE THAT A TRY JIM AND NO I'VE HAD NO PROBLEMS OTHER THAN THIS . I'VE OWNED THE BOAT FOR 12 YEARS BUT IT WAS REBUILT JUST BEFORE I BOUGHT IT , THE SELLER TOLD ME HE DID HAD OVER SIZE PISTONS PUT IN IT."

Back