Logo

Water filling enine compartmentb78 MerCruiser 260

powerwe

"Well, I'm in for it. I w

"Well, I'm in for it. I was recently given a '78 Cruiser 22' with a MerCruiser 260 I/O. After new gas, batteries, some starter fluid and carb cleaner it is now running and will idle great(about 1200 rpm).

The only problem now is that my engine compartment is filling with water while the engine is running. The water seams to be comming from under the engine, meaning that I can't see where it is comming from. I have replaced the hose from the winterization and am running it with muffs in my yard so I know that it is not related to hull damage.

Are there any valves that I should know about that are opened when winterized and I should close now? I've only run it for about four to five minutes twice so I'm confident that I haven't ruined the engine any more than it might already be. Steam is being released from the exhaust and compartment as well, but I think that is because the water level rose up to the bottom of the engine.

Thanks for any help that you can provide."

That kind of water is either t

That kind of water is either the pet cocks are open on each side of the block or manifolds. OR the power steering cooler is popped from not being winterized properly.

"There are some freeze plugs o

"There are some freeze plugs on the block and head that you can't get to unless you pull the manifold off. I had this problem on mine from it not being winterized properly. Once they were tapped back in, no more water."

Back