Logo

Could this be a bad power pack

beachfloater

I have a 1999 Sportjet 120 wit

I have a 1999 Sportjet 120 with no spark to the number 3 and 4 cylinders.I have checked the resistance in the coils and the trigger and all were within parameters.Could this be in the switch box or something else?

"Does this have coil packs? If

"Does this have coil packs? If it does, try subsituting one of the others on those cylinders. If the problem moves, you'll know it's the coil pack. You can also try switching the trigger lead."

"Thanks Jim, that sounds like

"Thanks Jim, that sounds like good info.Do you know which leads to switch, because there are four wires from the trigger to the switch box?"

"If I remember, they're bl

"If I remember, they're black/yellow and if there are actually coil packs, you should switch one pair at a time- one known good one to the known non-firing cylinder. Use a timing light to check for spark on each cylinder and if you see spark on the ones that aren't firing, the end or plug is bad.

Keep in mind that I haven't worked on an OB with this kind of problem for a while, but I think I'm pretty close on the info."

Jim I switched the coils today

Jim I switched the coils today and it was the same thing numbers 1 & 2 cylinders have spark so we have eliminated the coils as a problem.I wonder if it could be the power pack?Have any ideas?

"I would go to a dealer and se

"I would go to a dealer and see if they'll let you look at a manual, or you may go to a library to see if they have one. I don't have one and don't remember exactly what needs to be checked. It is possible for the switch box to go bad, it could also have a bad stator since there's a low speed output and a high speed output."

"Jim I found the blue and whit

"Jim I found the blue and white wire coming from under the flywheel was pinched,with the wire touching one of the terminals on the switchbox.Would this short out the switchbox?Thanks for your help and input"

It could cause a problem but I

It could cause a problem but I don't remember what that wire is for. Insulate it and see if it starts.

Back