Logo

Johnson 60ESL71 replacing cooling tubes need help plz

leetutt

"I am new to working on boat-m

"I am new to working on boat-motors, i usually work on cars. I'm not very knowledgeable about how to take the rest of the bottom of the motor apart. I got the lower-unit off and found that the guy who I just bought this boat from really screwed up the cooling rods (i guess that is what they are called, they are copper tubes that carry the water to and from the water pump to the top of the motor). I then decided to take off the mid section of the motor that housed the cooling rods (so i could replace them)and got all of the bolts out that I could find and it appears as though there is still a bolt or something holding it on? I have looked and looked and can not find anyting that should be keeping it captive, someone plz help me im going nuckin futz.

Thanks in advance,
Lee Tutt
1971 Johnson 60hp [60ESL71]"

Hey Lee...You are into a MAJOR

Hey Lee...You are into a MAJOR job there..!

Highly recommend that you get the service manual for your motor...Will save a lot of time and grief...!

YES Use a manual. If cost is

YES Use a manual. If cost is a factor the library is a good source. The great thing about doing your own maint. is that you not only get to "understand how the unit works" but the pride of saying that you did it yourself (with a little help from your friends on the side)

Does anyone know if a lower un

Does anyone know if a lower unit from a 72 50esl would fit a 71 60esl

"Thanks guys. I got the cooli

"Thanks guys. I got the cooling tubes straightened out and got new guide sleeves for them. I went to a Johnson repair shop and talked with the head mechanic about the motor. He looked at what I had done and was impressed. He said that since I was able to straighten them so well that they did not need to be replaced as long as I put new guide sleeves on. He then gave me new guide sleeves and told me to put it back together. I will let you all know how it runs after I get the lower-unit back on. Thanks for your help guys, I really like the fact that you all were so kind as to help me. If I ever need any advice while working on a boat motor I will definately come back here. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Lee Tutt"

Back