Logo

First boat Few Questions Mercruiser 228

mnjeepmale

This is my first boat and I am

This is my first boat and I am all new to this. I am not used to working on marine engines. This is a '81 Searay with a Mercruiser Stern Drive 228. I am not sure what has been done in the past. I think the oil was changed last spring. What do I need to do in order to change the oil? I have read that most people use a pump. Where is a good place to find a decent cheap pump? Also can some of you chime in a tell me what things I should do or check before it hits the water?

Oil changing pumps are availia

Oil changing pumps are availiable at almost any marine store and at many auto parts stores. Changing oil regularly is the greatest preventative maintainance procedure with any engine. Fuel tanks on boats are more subject to moisture than automobiles so extra attention to fuel filters and keeping the tank topped off is advised. Know the extra hazards about gasoline aboard a boat and DON'T GET LAX ABOUT FUEL HANDLING RULES.

"Get a manual. The ones advert

"Get a manual. The ones advertised here are decent. It will pay for itself in no time.
Knowing the recent history of the boat would be helpful in giving you advise.
When was the last time the impeller was replaced? Was the outdrive oil changed recently? Were the throttle and steering linkages lubricated? Was the outdrive and engine coupling greased?
If the answer to any of these questions is "I don't know", I'd get busy."

"I'd get the manual. Chan

"I'd get the manual. Change the crankcase oil, the lower unit fluid, I'd replace the raw water pump (impeller and plate). Lack of cooling is an engines worse enemy, and changing it now lets you know the condition going forward. Lots of used boats are started dry out of water when shown to sell. This is a big no-no.
The 228 Mercruiser is a good engine (alpha I assumed) rig. If it is in good condition when you sea-trial it...you will have a good future.

harry S"

"Thanks for the input from eve

"Thanks for the input from everyone. I went ahead and changed the lower unit oil, crankcase oil and fuel filter. I need to get an impeller, new prop and I think an alternator as it's not charging the battery. How do I find out what I need? Looks like I need the serial number. Would the be found on the outboard?"

You should have waited on the

You should have waited on the outdrive oil until you replaced the impeller. Make sure you refill the outdrive oil from the bottom using a hand pump.

"Before you go strait to buyin

"Before you go strait to buying a new alternator, check for obvious stuff first... loose or broken wires, corroded terminals, etc. The wiring diagram in the service manual helps in the troubleshooting. Also, if the battery is of unkown age or condition, I'd look at replacing that first."

Back