Logo

Volvo TAMD41A severe smoking amp fuel in exhaust

agandjack1

"Volvo TAMD41A has severe smok

"Volvo TAMD41A has severe smoking & fuel in exhaust. Injectors, compression, valve clearance hecked by Volvo mechanic - all OK. He "thinks" injector pump is bad. Big $ fix.
Anybody ever have this problem? What else could be causing it?"

"Jack,41A's were white smo

"Jack,41A's were white smokers when cold. They had an exhaust break solenoid on elbow to try and keep smoking down. Is it fuel or oil causing sheen? Could be oil or gear cooler putting fluid into exhaust water flow."

"I have a Volvo Penta TAMD40B,

"I have a Volvo Penta TAMD40B, with a MS3C reverse gear. MY transmision slips at 3500 rpm. Are there any adjustments to be made or is rebuilding out of the boad the only option?"

"Check/replace both air filter

"Check/replace both air filter and cranck ventilation filter. If problem still exist check the turbo pressure. If everything is ok, it sounds like a timing problem. Have the mechanich time your injectionpump. The pumps have a tendancy of being 'late' due to wear. No need to remove the pump from the engine!"

"Russel: When the conus clucth

"Russel: When the conus clucth locks it stays locked! What is slipping is probably the torrosion damper either at the flywheel or if you have the box with a 2" thick shaft coupling, the damper insde that. Change the coupling."

"I purchased a boat with TAMD4

"I purchased a boat with TAMD40B runs well, will rev in neutral to 3600 rpm no prob, out on water rev max 3200 rpm, prop has been electonically tuned and pitched, fuel tanks flushed and cleaned ( prior fuel prob) , fuel filters all changed. Should engine be capable of 3600 under load ? engine 145 hrs only after rebuild."

I have purchased a boat with t

I have purchased a boat with the same engines. From what I have been told these engines are famous for smoking when cold. Even after the injectors and fuel pumps are up to spec. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with injecting other fuels during the warm up? Nitrous or Propane?

FWIW I just had my injector pu

FWIW I just had my injector pump inspected cleaned and resealed for $135. Done by a Bosch service center and well worth the peace of mind.
Terry

Back