Logo

30L wonbt idle in gear

ohmonterey

"My boat won't run at idle

"My boat won't run at idle in gear. 1999 3.0L Mercruser. Idles fine in neutral, 700 rpm. Boat ran fine for a 5 mile run up lake including a long no wake zone. Fished for 2 hrs, then when I went to leave it was fine for about two minutes then died and wouldn't idle in gear. Ran fine at 3K rpm and up. Had to rev it to about 3K to keep it from dying at slow speed. Was an intresting ride back through the NWZ. I just changed plugs, dist. cap, and rotor button but did not check timing or idle since it ran fine in the driveway. Also, this was first time out this year, 10 Gal. new gas on top of a nearly empty tank. Used Stabil when winterized, I had a similar problem before 20 hr check when boat was new. Dealer fixed it but there was nothing on the service report as to what they changed. Would this be timing or idle related or possibly the electric choke?"

Carb flooding? You can find o

Carb flooding? You can find out by turning the idle screw all the way in and see if the motor keeps running--it should die.

Jeff

"Dry gas the fuel tank, could

"Dry gas the fuel tank, could be a load of water"

"..."Turning in idle screw

"..."Turning in idle screw kills it"

Good deal! Attack the fuel tank next, adding dry gas and changing the filters, and you might be okay.

Jeff"

"..."Turning in idle screw

"..."Turning in idle screw kills it"

Good deal! Attack the fuel tank next, adding dry gas and changing the filters, and you might be okay.

Jeff"

"I had already added dry gas o

"I had already added dry gas on Tuesday, gave it a few days, runs better now but I still drained the tank to start with fresh gas. I think I'll add a water seperator, something I should have done long ago. Thanks for your help Jeff."

try taking off shift cable adj

try taking off shift cable adjust throttle screw on Carb mounted on side of Carb. Put it into forward gear. Adjust until RPM runs about 8 maybe 10 no more then 10. Stop engine and reinstall

Back