Logo

Volvo Penta MD1

moisez

"Hi, I have an MD1 on a Wester

"Hi, I have an MD1 on a Westerly sailboat. This engine has been sitting for several years on the hard. Would anyone comment on the things that absolutely must be done before I hit the starter button to see what happens. I do have a service manual but was hoping that someone could help with some practical advice on the initial checking/inspection of the engine. Thanks, Jack"

"hi jack, i have a 1969 wester

"hi jack, i have a 1969 westerly nomad 22 with md1 that i run on straIght biodiesel (much better for many reasons).

things to do:

charge up battery
check wiring/connections between battery and starter especially.
change crankcase oil (use synthetic)
clean oil strainer screen
clean air cleaner
adjust valves (all two of them)
drain fuel tank, rinse and refill
remove fuel filters and inspect probably pretty dirty
blow out all fuel lines with compressed air
remove injector, have it inspected, adjusted etc by a professional.
lubricate all control cables, prop shaft gland nut etc.

this may seem like a lot but it beats farting around with the diesel when you're tired and it's dark and you want to head in. if you use biodiesel instead of petrol AND wash the whole cabin down with soap and water you will no longer endure the horrible smell of petrol diesel in the cabin, on your hands etc. it will be a pleasure to work on the motor! biodiesel also burns much cleaner and has more lubricity so the engine will be much happier.

you can contact me at [email protected]. good luck!
ken"

"MD1. My MD1 starts ,and runs

"MD1. My MD1 starts ,and runs great, but lacks in power. What could be causing this? It sounds good like it is turning up but will only push the boat half it boat speed. I thought it might be a dirty hull but it sails okay, and I have a back up five horse outboard that will push it to hull speed. What do you think might me my solution or something that I might try. It always starts on the first fire. I am pushing my boat at a little over three with it. Don't know what to check since it is running so good."

"Ray, Check for fouled prop. C

"Ray, Check for fouled prop. Can cut rpm by a great deal. Rb gear can also slip. Try to get a photo tach and check shaft rpm in relation to engine rpm."

Back