View Full Version : b94 90 HP Yamaha tilttrim motor replacement

04-15-2006, 10:22 PM
"It appears the only way to get the last trim motor mounting bolt off is to remove and the engine from the transom, separate the hold-down bracket, and have at it. I test-loosened all the other bolts to make sure there would be no problem. Remarkably, they all freely loosened up from this 12 year old salt water engine! The nut (nut #1) where the steering cable goes into the tube loosened easily. The nut that is part of the of the steering cable (nut 2) would not budge. My question: Is nut 2 supposed to turn, or is it just something to put a wrench on to hold steady while turning the first nut I mentioned? Do these hold down clamps usually present a problem when attempting to separate them? I remember having a heck of a time with an OMC engine bracket separation job."

04-16-2006, 06:10 PM

Both nuts should loosen.

You probably do not have to remove the engine, but you can prop it up and get enough clearance to remove the last screw.

04-16-2006, 06:43 PM
"Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try. If there was some type of flexible extension, you could almost reach that last screw, but starting it back in without cross-threading would be another trick altogether."

04-29-2006, 10:07 PM
"That steering cable nut was the only one that ended up being a problem. My mechanic had to heat and beat, but he got it loose without any damage to the cable or the bracket."