Logo

Water in Oil

tomcatrich

" I just started to get water

" I just started to get water in my oil and have my heads in the shop. My gaskets looked good and I'm now looking at my manifolds. My manifolds and elbows were new and run about 5 times before I took my boat out of the water and winterized it. It then sat up for 18 months. I initially thought I may have had rain get into my carb but after draining the oil, rebuilding the carb I ran the motor for about 25 minutes ((1st time in 20 months), two weeks later I went back to work only to find out the motor would not start(hydro lock). I removed all the spark plugs and cranked the motor. I had water shooting everywhere. When I pulled the dip stick it was milky upto about 10 inchs. I'm really hoping my block in not cracked around a water jacket and its something more simple.

Rich

Rich "

" I have a similar problem. O

" I have a similar problem. One of my exhaust manifolds has a crack internally and water leaks back through the exhaust ports. To test it, I took it off, plugged one end, stood it up on end and slowly added water at the top water inlet and pretty soon it started running out the exhaust, settling once and for all what happened with mine. "

" Don,

Could I have both si

" Don,

Could I have both sides cracked or were you getting water in all cylinders with just the one side cracked.

Rich "

" Don,

One other question I

" Don,

One other question I had was how did you plug up the opening where the elbow mounts or did you have to.

Rich "

" the best way to check those

" the best way to check those manifolds/risers is to have them pressure tested. it don't cost that much $$ so why screw around? if u put it back together & the problem isn't solved you'll have to tear it down again. it's not good for the head gasket to remove it & put it back again either. make sure u use a marine head gasket. don't try to save money by using an auto gasket. it won't work. by the way, did u put antifreeze in the engine when u winterized it? that's a long time to lay up an engine. antifreeze loses strength over time. good luck. p.s. i'm having the same problem. not fun. "

" kp07,

Had a friend look a

" kp07,

Had a friend look at block where heads mount and he says there is signs of exhaust gas leaking into the intake manifold area on both sides. Could have happened when I was originally having all my exhaust problems prior to lay up. My heads are being overhauled as I write, I will have the manifolds pressure tested, just trying to figure out where and I will only by quicksilver gaskets. Thanks for the advice, I will post my final outcome when I'm done.

Rich "

Back