Logo

1965 Johnson 65 HP Fuel Problem

eveningtide

"Hello All,
I have a 1965 Joh

"Hello All,
I have a 1965 Johnson 65HP 4cyl that runs great. The carb has been rebuilt and new float installed. I also have rebuilt the fuel pump.(Note that the problem existed before carb and fuel pump were overhauled.) I found that fuel has been pumping out the exhaust.There is a hose that comes from the bottom of the intake manifold and dumps into the exhaust. I re-routed this hose into a spare gas tank to find that for every 6 gallons I burn I collect more then 2 gallons in the overflow can. Are there any oldtimers out there that could give me any ideas?
Thanks much,
Dan"

"Dan.... There is no hose that

"Dan.... There is no hose that leads feom the intake manifold to dump into the exhaust area. If one existed, that would be a excellent way to blow ones self out of the water.

There is a fitting in that area which is the operating (pressure) hose for the fuel pump, but I can think of no other in that area.

If you have time, please remove that fuel pump so that you can take a few pictures of what you're speaking and get them to me via email. Simply click on my name to the left to contact me.

The fuel route is tank to primer bulb to fuel pump to carburetor.... that's it. There is no overflow system."

Back