Logo

1990 70hp Evinrude

J

Jim Hann

This engine idles fine and wil

This engine idles fine and will throttle up properly until the spark advance moves. As soon as it moves the engine seems to be out off timing and runs very erratically.This problem started intermittently but now it is like it all of the time.I am thinking maybe a break down in the spark advance but does anyone have any suggestions about this problem?

"Hey Jim....The spark advance

"Hey Jim....The spark advance plate needs to move just as soon as the throttle plates in the carbs start to open..If not, you are out of time and need to adjust the linkage until every thing is back in sync. again..."

"Hi Tom thanks for the come ba

"Hi Tom thanks for the come back.The user name you see is different but I am Jim.The linkage adjustments on this engine have not been changed.The problem started after I had been using the engine for quite some time without any problem,it didn't start after repairs were made but the trouble was infrequent to begin with and now it is a constant.Any other ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated ,Jim."

"Hi Jim, please do what Tom sa

"Hi Jim, please do what Tom says first, because if that is not set damn near perfect, you cannot eliminate it as a suspect and move onto, fuel, plugs, contamination etc. I experienced the same thing with 65hp 1972 evinrude. the throttle/spark synchronization somehow became slightly out of adjustment and the thing would idle rough, and stammer and stutter on acceleration. I tinkered with it a bit and really screwed it up good! Then i found the service manual, Tada!"

Back