Logo

Merc 140 front motor mount 1984 fiberglass bowrider

joe_fish

"Hello all, its been a while s

"Hello all, its been a while since I posted anything on this site, but the weathers getting better up here in the North East(actually its great) and I'm starting to think about my boat again...

I've got a question about the front motor mount on my merc. 140 4cylinder.

Without a picture, this might be hard to explain, but I give it a try.

When I first start up the cold motor it runs a bit rough for the first minute or two. The front motor mount is attached to a small steel channel thats maybe 4" wide by about 18" long or so. Its attached at its ends under the fiberglass to I would guess wood but I can't see the junction. This channel moves back and forth quite a bit (not up and down or front to back just left and right) when the motors running cold, but dosen't move at all when the motors warm. does anyone know what this mount looks like? I'm wondering if mine is connected to rotten wood. Maybe the amount it jiggles is normal or maybe its connected to rubber/steel mount..
This connection has got to be somewhat common to this era 4 cylinder. I'll try and get a picture of the area and mount to better explain. Any thoughts would be helpful.

thanks

Joe"

"Joe,

As you've guessed

"Joe,

As you've guessed, more than likely rotten stringers! LOTS of work to replace. Hiring it repaired may cost near value of 20+ yr old boat.

To repair, engine will have to come out, tops of stringers cut open, rotten wood dug out, new wood 'glassed back in. Stringers run to nearly front of boat so seats and floor will have to come out also. LOTS and LOTS of hard work, probably loose all summer of boating to working on boat!

If you decide to do it, I'd recommend waiting 'till fall and make it a wintertime project. Really pretty rewarding if you're handy with tools and have a garage or work shop to keep it in.

If you do decide to "go in" let me know and I can pass on a antique boat site where you can find lots of project pictures and a ton of help.

Bob"

"Thanks for the replies guys&#

"Thanks for the replies guys'

A bit depressing considering the money that I have already pumped into this boat. Haven't quite had it a year yet.

I would appreciate the link to that boat repair site. I would be doing the work myself. The carpentry, fiberglass and mechanical are not a problem for me at all. Although I am first to admit that have little experiance with boats. So I would be doing the job at a slow pace so its done right. Hopefully with guidence from somewhere or somebody. Something to tackle in the winter for sure.

Boy this is depressing..."

Back