Logo

Newbie Pivot Pin SNAFU

mwh710

"Yes, I accidently pulled the

"Yes, I accidently pulled the pivit pin, not the drain plug to drain & refill the lower gear oil. Now, of course I can't get the pin back in. I am new at this, so be kind, how bad is it...."

"There are two different type

"There are two different type 25hp models in 1985, a thru prop hub exhaust model and a commercial model which has a removable skeg.

In either case try this... have the engine standing upside down. Hopefully the shift lever will drop into place whereas you can reinsert the pivot pin.

If successful, after reinstalling the pivot pin, the engine will be able to shift to and fro, back and forth into either gear, neutral perfectly.

The alternative with the removable skeg model is to remove the skeg, then reasemble the components.

The thru prop hub exhaust model is another matter that is too lengthy to explain. That will require a servive manual."

"So, I lifted it up into it&#3

"So, I lifted it up into it's locked position & the pin went in. Now, does that mean everything is all right? I can manually shift the lever on the engine into forwards, neutral & reverse, but until I get it into the water & it is running, I have no way of knowing it is actually ingaged, do I? BTW, thanks for your help, I am about sick over this. I hope I am a lucky guy here - I HAVE learned my lesson."

"Michael,
Just stick the engi

"Michael,
Just stick the engine in a barrel, fill it with water just above the water intake, and test it that way. Don't give it any throttle above idle, but if the shifting operates properly while the engine is running in the barrel I would think you'll be fine.

KJ"

Back