Logo

Cracked block

extanker

has anyone ever used jb weld t

has anyone ever used jb weld to fix a cracked block. mine is cracked about 8 inches right under the exhaust manifold.

Are you leaking water or coola

Are you leaking water or coolant out of the water jacket?

"Use any high temperature two

"Use any high temperature two part epoxy. Clean the area around the crack with alcohol or laquer thinner. Apply the epoxy in a strip covering the crack 1/2 inch on either side, heaping it thicker in center to thinner at the edges.
Understand that this is a "buying time" fix and is not inteneded to be a permanent solution.
Observe the area after each run as the crack might tend to grow in length with heating up and cooling down and with vibration."

"I recall an old engineer &#40

"I recall an old engineer (he was actually more of a handyman than anything else) showing me how to use a heat resistant silicone sealant and a piece of rag to seal an engine water leak. He would make sure the engine was at running temp, clean the area to be sealed and then smear the silicone over the area and top it off with a piece of silicone covered cloth.

Even as a kid I thought it was a bit of a rough way to fix a cracked block but I guess it is a pretty good stop gap."

Back