Logo

2000 40hp 4 stroke Yamaha cdi unit

jlb

"I need your guys opinion befo

"I need your guys opinion before I break down and buy a new cdi unit. The motor got to where it would idle but would not plane off. I first thought it was a carb problem, but after checking the fire on the plugs the #1 and #3 cyl. is firing, but my #2 cyl. is not firing. We took the #1 coil wire that has fire and plugged it in to the #2 coil and it got fire, so that tells me that the #2 coil is good, I just want to make sure the only other thing it could be is the cdi unit and not something else. Thanks"

"Dude just checking as to see

"Dude just checking as to see if there is fire from your coil pack is not enough, break down and purchase a tester to see how many Kilo volts each side of your coil pack is putting out, I would say that about 7 times out of ten the coil pack is putting out a alternating voltage of between 0-3 to possibly 5 kilovolts on one wire and a full 10- 13 on the other, they just go bad after awhile and need to be replaced this will cause a irregular hold in RPM when held in a constant throttle posistion. relax as the coil pack is a heck of alot cheeper than a $300 to $450 dollar cdi. and usually the first sign of a bad cdi is no spark to all of the coil packs. also do not forget to check with a multi meter the ohm value of the spark compensator under the fly wheel. Hope this helps save you mony. to really help spend the $ 38.00 bucks on the book that describes what I just mentioned and read it. the price of one book can save you thousands in the long run. best wishes and keep your Yammy in the water kicking some superb roosters."

Back