Logo

Problem removing rotor

L

lovebyter

"I can't pull off the roto

"I can't pull off the rotor from a Delco distributor, 1993,Crusader gm V8. There's no set screw I can see and there is nothing on the replacement rotor that I can see that would lock this thing down. Any suggestions as to how to get this thing off?

Thanks for your help"

I just went through that probl

I just went through that problem with mine as well. If the rotor hasn't been off in a few years the retainer clip in the rotor will get rusty a bind to the distributor shaft. It will eventually come off with some effort.

"If you think you might have a

"If you think you might have a corrosion problem holding it, spray some WD-40 up under it with the attached tube. Give it some time to penetrate then try again."

"Thanks for all the help guys.

"Thanks for all the help guys. Given the amount of corrosion on the contacts inside the distributor cap, it's probably rusted in. I'll give the WD 40 a try.

Thanks again,
Frank"

"If you have a new one, you ca

"If you have a new one, you can carefully chisel the old one off with a screwdriver. What the heck, you're going to replace it anyhow, right?

Just besure you get all of the pieces out.

Jeff"

"I used a small puller on mine

"I used a small puller on mine, it was made to pull battery terminals off the post, any samll puller will work similar to bearing puller."

"Thanks Gang!!
Got the rotor

"Thanks Gang!!
Got the rotor off. Combination of George and FastJeff's suggestions. I used the puller, and it snapped off the wide part of the rotor and then I used a small vice grip to snap off the rest of the pieces. I retrieved all the pieces and blew out any dust that may have fallen in.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Frank"

"Frank, thanks for the update.

"Frank, thanks for the update. Could you see an obvious reason for it getting stuck?"

"Eddie,

The reason was corr

"Eddie,

The reason was corrosion/rust on the inside. It's a pretty tight fit, so I'm sure any little bit of rust didn't help."

"OK, wow, I guess it makes sen

"OK, wow, I guess it makes sense. I just never saw one get that stuck. Thanks again for your feedback. Have fun with your boat."

Back