Logo

30 Mercruiser Starter Replacement 9000820

J

jheck

"Hello fellow boaters,

I ha

"Hello fellow boaters,

I have a 3.0L mercruiser with a faulty starter motor - my guess is the previous owner wasn't too fussy about keeping water out of the bilge and managed to submerge the starter on the boat ramp or elsewhere. Now I have removed the starter (Delco #9000820) and pulled it down to find it full of rust and totally seized. I have then cleaned it up to see if it would still turn and it does however I am concerned enough about it to want to replace it before going out on the water again. I dunno about in the US but I know in AUS it is pretty hard to push start a boat with no decent hills around
biggrin.gif
. Anyway, I know it might be nice to locate an exact part number match but I am finding the cost extremely prohibitive. Is there any reason why I can't use an auto equivalent starter such as the 9000798 which comes in at around 30% of the genuine marine part cost? Is there any real difference between a marine and an auto starter other than the lovely black Mercury paint?

I look forward to your replies and especially if any of you have used an equivalent auto starter.

Thanks,

John"

"G-day, mate! It's been d

"G-day, mate! It's been done, and it works. But I didn't say it, okay!

Jeff"

"G-day, mate! It's been d

"G-day, mate! It's been done, and it works. But I didn't say it, okay!

Jeff"

Thanks for the quick reply Fas

Thanks for the quick reply FastJeff.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a marinised starter and an auto starter is? (That is if there is any difference at all)

Can anyone provide first hand feedback relating to the fitting of an auto starter to a Mercruiser? Clearly there will not be warranty issues as my boat/motor are well and truly past that stage.

TIA

John

"Ok. So I have located a suita

"Ok. So I have located a suitable auto starter from a US supplier through ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4627144596 and amazingly the cost of the starter including delivery totalled US$117.95 (AUD$165) which is a killer price. Locally in Sydney I couldn't find a supplier that would sell for less the AUD$300 for a new starter or AUD$250 for a reco starter. Not bad really when a marine starter from a Sydney supplier goes for between $500 - $600.
thumbs_down.gif

Lets hope the the delivered unit is 100% suitable. I'll update this thread with the final results. If any readers/members need to pick my brain for further info then please just send me an email.

Cheers!"

"John,

Welcome to the board

"John,

Welcome to the board!!

There is a real chance that if you ever have fuel vapors in bilge the automotive starter can create one #$ll of an explosion!! The chances of having vapors collect is directly related to your preventative maintenance, raise engine cover and smell every time you crank? Change the fuel delivery hose every couple of years? Rebuild carb occasionally? Most of us sure don't.

If you do a dissasembly compareson between auto and marine starter you will find either a paper or thin rubber gasket between the three component sections of the starter on the marine unit. These are the joints where the end cap joins the main body,main body and nose piece, and solenoid and main body. Disassembling to add gaskets that you'll probably never be able to find takes considerable mechanical aptitude,,,but loosening each of these seams just enough to squirt a small bead of RTV rubber silicone gasket maker in and then retightening bolts (do one joint at a time even though end cap and nose piece are held to main body by same bolts) allowing sealer plenty of time to cure between bolt loosenings. This info was passed on by an older marine mechanic who kept a fleet of rental boats in operation for his employer.

Gaskets DO keep sparks inside starter and fumes outside of starter.

Many scoff at chances of explosion, but I've got a buddy whose legs won't grow hair in scar tissue because of STARTING his boat!!

Bob"

"OMG, it all sounds nasty and

"OMG, it all sounds nasty and dangerous just having a boat, let alone hitting the starter.

Seriously though, thanks for the valuable input -you have definitely answered the questions I asked and that were in my mind regarding the simple differences between an auto and a marine starter. Thanks.

As it happens I have purchased a "remanufactured" auto equivalent and had it delivered from the USA to me in Sydney AUS for less than half the price for what I could get locally. I have already fitted and tested its operation but haven't "marinised" it in any way. I do make a habit of storing my boat with the engine cover off and I am also quite liberal with the use of the blower to clear any possible fuel vapours. I will however make some time to seal up the joints as you have described as it just makes really good sense. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers from downunder.

John"

Back