Logo

Another AQ130270 overheat

dannyboy

"Greetings,I have a '72 aq

"Greetings,I have a '72 aq130 with a 270 outdrive.I have had it for two seasons.It has less than 500 hours hours on it but the previous owner did not store it properly and last fall I had to replaced the head(without a test run).First time out this spring it overheated.having to get back in I bypassed the sea filter(it is and always has been a freshwater boat)and it ran better than ever.next outing,while in gear motor will not exceed 2800rpm and over heats,put it in nuetral and feather the throttle and it cools right down.the motor is acting like the prop is bound but I have removed it and there is no debrise. the sea pump impeller is new.the raw water hose has been inspected and seems fine.I have removed and flushed all cooling hoses/pipes,oil cooler and intake manifold and have removed the t-stat.still no change(on the water).the hole in the bottom of the sea pump is dripping..any and all help is welcome.thanks!"

"If the tell-tale hole is drip

"If the tell-tale hole is dripping, then the pump seal is gone and you have to replace it ASAP.

Also, did you check the raw water hose connector in the outdrive? The pump may suck air if it is perforated or heavily corroded."

Back