Logo

Reinstalling lower unit on 8hp 2 stroke nissan

ellsworth

installed new water pump and c

installed new water pump and can't get the lower unit to go back in...seems to be the shift rod is not going in all the way...pulled the prop/shaft but did not help........???????????????????

"Why in the world did you pull

"Why in the world did you pull out the prop shaft?
The lower unit goes back on the same way it came off. You insert the drive shaft and shift rod up into the motor leg and they self guide into place. You might have had to spin the prop shaft 10 or 15 degrees to get the drive shaft to mesh back with the crank shaft, but that's all there is to it. You would be advised to buy a service manual if you are going to try to tinker with your own engine."

"Ron-
I am having the exact s

"Ron-
I am having the exact same problem... been working on it now for over 2 months and have had several of my friends help me look at it to figure out how to get the lower unit back on. Very Very frustrating to say the least. If I spin the unit sideways, leaving the shifter rod outside I can get the shaft into the drive gear. However, when I align the whole lower end, the shift rod prevents me from getting it all the way back in. I've tried spinning the prop, forward, neutral, reverse, sideways, upside down and nothing seems to allow the shif rod to enter into the housing. One thing that is odd is that the prop clicks when i turn it now. Is that normal? Also the little pin at the bottom of the lower unit where the shift rod sits seems to be further forward than normal and I cant get it back enough to get the rod in.

SO.... where do I turn next? Did you ever get yours in? Is there a trick to this? I realize now that I shouldn't have taken the lower unit all the way off but I was having a hard time getting the impeller out w/ the unit attached. PLEASE, I could use a little advise here.

many, many thanks in advance- my kids will love you for it!"

Dave......did you remove the c

Dave......did you remove the cotter pin and force pin the goes through the bronze ring just above the lower unit?

Uh no. was I supposed to? Tha

Uh no. was I supposed to? That would seem to be quite a pain to remove the pins and the bronze ring every time you want to change the impeller so I figured the shift rod just slid out of the lower unit?? have I screwed the pooch here?
thanks
dave

"so, i'll buy the service

"so, i'll buy the service manual from my dealer. I need one anyway as I'll need to rebuidl my carbs soon. However, since I've already screwed up will it tell mehow to correct my mistake. I would think that the service manual tells you how to properly do it and not how to fix a stupid mistake?

So, hypothetically, how would I get lower unit back on... I hate to take it to the dealer here as he wasn't all that helpful w/ my last repair."

"There is no chapter called:

"There is no chapter called:

I Took Things Apart That I Didn't need To

But, the lower unit chapter does have complete instructions on taking one apart and putting it back together. Armed with that you can reverse what you have done and then install the L.U. back on. If you get in a jam let me know and I'll guide you the manual."

"throw it in the river and tel

"throw it in the river and tell your friends it
fell off the boat,then go buy a new one,but don't take it apart...."

Back