Logo

Bosch Distributor Needed for 230B 4Cyl Volvo

"Need help in locating either

"Need help in locating either a good used unit, or a re-build kit that would include springs for my unit. My boat is a 1994 Excel 180 (18 ft) and the engine is a 230B. I've confirmed this by providing the Engine Number to Volvo directly, and they in turn informed me that this is the correct designation. My local Volvo Dealer tells me the unit I have is no longer servicable, and I cannot find another unit locally to save my soul, nor can I find a local service facility in the Baltimore, Maryland area who will agree to attempt to rebuild this unit due to lack of available parts. So, any help is appreciated. I can be reached at: [email protected]

Thanks, Tom"

"Here is one

[url=""]http:/

"Here is one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-Penta-230-4-Cyl-Overhead-Cam-Distributor_W0 QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50442QQihZ014QQitemZ330245321298QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Here is another one (yes, it will work on your engine), it won't last long at this price!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO-PENTA-AQ125-A-DISTRIBUTOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQ Q_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ124104QQihZ009QQitemZ190230563542QQrdZ1Q QsspagenameZWD1V

This is an oldie and looks a bit yucky, but it should aslo work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-Penta-AQ140-Bosch-Distributor_W0QQcmdZViewI temQQcategoryZ124104QQihZ011QQitemZ320265023766QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Having said that, I am convinced that a good distributor shop should be able to rebuild your current dizzy and install equivalent springs that would keep the advance curve as per manufacturer's specs."

"Hello El,

And, once again,

"Hello El,

And, once again, I have to say you've 'bailed me out'....so to speak! (I love those old marine references.) I took a look at all 3 of those items, and decided the 'Buy It Now' version was my best bet....so I made the purchase and now I'm waiting on the seller's response regarding final price including shipping...which wasn't listed. I have never felt so 'old' in my life!! I remember when rebuilding distributors was a routine maintenence operation....but now, in my area of Baltimore Maryland, I can't find a shop that wants to get involved in such activity. Seems that all the automotive work is all based on crank-sensor technology and the associated EFI paraphanalia. 'Distributors' are just so antique that no one around here wants to mess with them. I found a few old techs that said they'd take a look...but I figure I'm and old tech, and without those springs readily at hand, anyone else is in the same boat I'm in (so to speak). Anyway....again, I thank you for your time and assistance. I searched the internet for Bosch repair...but didn't think of just looking for a Volvo distributor on ebay!! Great call!! Again, many thanks!! Tom Dickinson"

"Hello El,

Just a couple of

"Hello El,

Just a couple of quick questions; First, I received and installed that distributor last evening. Engine is now running and advancing properly, however I noted that the timing is just slightly off. And, I spent about 20 minutes attempting to shift the shaft by one tooth in order to accomodate repositioning the rotor to 'center' the adjustment range with respect to the locking bolt, but it seemed I was unable to do so. It was as if that distributor had a slot or pin that only gave one of two positions within the block. I've seen this on other distributors where the end of the shaft had a slot or blade....and it would only fit one of two ways into the drive gear. But, I don't see that on this distributor...and I'm locked up against the stop and only at about 4 degrees of advance instead of 6 like the spec says...or 8 which is were I'd like to be. I noted that the distributor I took off had the back of the locking flange cut off so you could turn it just a bit more. Perhaps that's the 'fix'? Also, the raw water pump seems to be leaking out the front...like there's a crack in the housing or something. Upon closer inspection I saw what looked like a plug right in the center...and that's where it's leaking....around that plug. Didn't look like that plug was replacable or servicable....but possible 'solderable'...? I think you mentioned that this whole pump is still available....but before I go trying to track down a new one...have you got any suggestions for this little problem? I suppose there's alway just the possibliity of a glob of epoxy or JB weld. Not a lot of pressure on the leak...more of a steady drip at idle...but it did intensify as RPM increased. Anyway, that's where I'm at now. One challenge after another!! It will be nice to 'run' this boat at some point.....I hope!!! Again, many thanks for all your help and input! Kindly, Tom D."

"Thomas, have you tried to rem

"Thomas, have you tried to remove the distributor and slide it back in with the gear either one tooth forward or one tooth back from the current position? I had a similar problem in my former AQ140 and setting the timing was a bit tight, but I never had to cut the end of the slot in the flange.

Regarding the raw water pump, are you talking about screw 11? This is to secure the cam 10 into position, so if it leaks just put some sealant or teflon on the threads.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/SEA_WATER_PUMP_855578/dm/cart_id.657400424--categ ory_id.332579--list_time.1214330354--session_id.260516376--store_id.366--view_id .320812

And yes, these pumps are available brand new, but in 99% of the cases a rebuilding kit will do the job. See here:

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-3205&returntopage= sierra_marine/sierra00818.htm

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-3075&returntopage= sierra_marine/sierra00817.htm"

"Hello El,

Thanks for getti

"Hello El,

Thanks for getting back to me. First, I must tell you that I was working on my boat lift in the middle of a torrential thunderstorm. Lightning was prolific...and after about 15 minutes my better judgement was to 'abandon ship' and get inside. But, during that 15 minutes, I had the distributor in and out about 10 times....and for the life of me, I could NOT seem to just jump one tooth. I'll try harder! But, it really did seem to be 'keyed' to either one position, or 180 degrees the other way. And, the funny thing is that it has ended up in nearly the exact same postion as the unit I removed....which had the locking flange slotted at the extreme advance end allowing for a few more degrees of advance. Like I said, I can do that to this unit....but I'd like to figure out just why the thing won't allow me to just jump foreward a tooth on the drive gear. That would nearly center the lock-nut on the locking flange when properly timed. Oh well. And, as to the leak....it's right smack in the middle of the cover....item 3....right where the shaft is installed. Like I said...it looks like this cover had a flush cap in that position that has loosened up....but it may just be worn thru. Honestly, I think I can just put some appropriate sealer on the cover...and put some kind of cap over the sealer...let it all harden up, and it should be 'functional'. Not right, but with all this project has gotten me into, who knows what's next with this engine!! Neglect is a bad thing....but trying to restore MASSIVE neglect in enraging!! I may just try to find a solid cover...or replace the pump entirely...but I really want to see just how well this boat holds up. It may soon be someone else's problem!! Thanks again El. Respectfully and with great appreciation, Tom D."

"PS....if you happen to see or

"PS....if you happen to see or hear of one of these pumps for sale, or even just the cover ...please let me know. And by the way....the distributor worked out well. The last thing I did was check the base timing at idle...which as I said was about 4 degrees, and then I reved the engine, and it advanced up just like it should!! I'm sure that's NOT going to be a problem any more, and perhaps I should not worry about 2 degrees of base timing. I will put the engine to the test this weekend. If it runs out well....then I'll just not worry about it for now. If I get enough centrifugal advance to develop good running power, I'll be happy. Thanks again El. Tom"

"Hello El,

Well, once again

"Hello El,

Well, once again....I gotta thank you for your help. It's funny, after you found all those distributors, I learned the lesson...and I DID try ebay last night myself. But, if you recall, the name given this pump on that link from Volvo you sent me was "Sea Water" pump. So, that's what I did my search on. In fact, 3 came up, but all were different models, so, I gave it up. Didn't think to try 'Raw Water'...which obviously was the key to success!! Clearly, your experience with this is phenomenal! Just to conclude, I did the "BuyItNow" on the $58 pump after bidding the $36 pump up to $50 and still being outbid. I figured for another $8 I'd just be assured of getting the thing, so I switched over and completed that BuyItNow auction. El, again....I really appreciate your efforts. I don't know how you get compensated for all the help you give people in this forum, but your service is invaluable!! I can only offer my appreciation...and hope that you're still here the next time I need help. Again, many thanks!! Tom Dickinson [email protected]"

"Tom, glad to see that you got

"Tom, glad to see that you got one of the pumps. I also want to thank you for your words. As for compensation, the ony one I get (and expect) is to see an ever increasing number of happier and safer boaters due to everybody's contributions to the forum."

Back