Logo

Volvo MD 2020 slow running problem

G

Graeme Batchelor

"My '97 Moody S31 engine h

"My '97 Moody S31 engine has developed a fault whereby the idling revs slowly reduce over a few days until the engine cuts out at the most inopportune moments (approaching a crowded pontoon in 28kt winds) thus losing the ability to stop. It always restarts with a good dose of throttle and this has got me out of a jam but the fault needs fixing before I take it out again. I have had Sea Start out to it twice and they have simply adjusted the slow running screw. I have cleaned out the coarse filter (there were a very small amount of "bits" not enough to clog it) and also replaced the fine filter. I did this after the first incident but it didn't seem to make any difference. Once all the adjustment was used up a local engineer then removed the throttle lever from the splined shaft and repositioned it so that the "load" was taken up earlier. This worked for a while but is now back to square one (another exciting mooring episode). The best description of the fault is that the throttle arm is slowly slipping on the splined shaft of the governor/fuel pump, although this is unlikely as it is pinched on tight. The fault is apparent even if the throttle cable is disconnected, you can push the throttle arm quite a long way with your finger before the revs increase. Once the correct revs are set (by the slow running screw or repositioning the arm on the splines) and you are on the "take-up point" it slowly changes over time (say 5 - 10 hours of use) and you can again push the throttle arm quite a long way with your finger before the revs increase
Has anyone had a similar experience or do they know if there is anything attached to the splined shaft inside the control unit that can slip?"

Back