Logo

2002 Vmax 250 OX66 Overheat alarm

jjk61083

"I have a 2002 Vmax 250 OX66 o

"I have a 2002 Vmax 250 OX66 on a 26' Playcraft triple tube pontoon boat. Last week when I took off down the lake the overheat alarm went off after about 5-10 minutes of cruising at around 4000-4200 rpms. I shut it down for a few minutes and made sure nothing was clogging the inlets and took off again. Closely watching the water pressure guage I noticed that it was fine (anywhere from 12-20 psi at 3000-3600 rpm), but when I would open it up a little (over 4000-4200 or so) the pressure would start to drop - all the way down to 5psi or lower. If I slowed down again, the pressure would go back up again to normal. The water stream was good and steady coming out of the engine. I spoke to a mechanic at the lake who said it was probably the impeller in the water pump. Had it replaced and went out the next day with the same problem. When I got the boat home, my local Yamaha mechanic talked to the people at Yamaha who were almost certain it was the poppet valve. He removed it, cleaned it and flushed the system real good. I had the boat on the lake yesterday and the same problem persists. We bought this boat used last September with 66 hours on this engine, and it has been great up until this point. Engine has around 83 hours on it now. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!"

"knowledge requested: 00'V

"knowledge requested: 00'VMAX 150 , at idle to about 2000 water stream at pee hole steady. As throttle is advanced water stream becomes intermittent. Strays for 4 seconds stops for 2 seconds and resumes. Checked pick up for debris. all clear. Captured water from pee tube to see if it showed signs of contamination. All clean. Eventually temp alarm will sound. All saltwater application. Owned for 3 years approx time 500 hours. Can pump lose pressure intermittently? Or is this a thermostat ? Thanks DG"

"We ended up replacing the pop

"We ended up replacing the poppet valve and problem was much better. I am still occasionally getting a very low (0-5psi) water pressure reading, and I have to throttle back for a minute or adjust trim and it will go back up. Nobody seems to know what's going on. I may have to pull boat to another Yamaha mechanic about 2 hours from where I live."

"well

u need to look at the

"well

u need to look at the whole impeller housing, always buy a kit

t stats every year, or test and clean

heads could be clogged if used ans stored in salt"

"dgair.....

MarineEngine.co

"dgair.....

MarineEngine.com - Properly Inserted Post)

Go back to the previous page and click on the "Start New Discussion" hyperlink that exists in the "Blue Border".

This will allow you to enter your question/post under your own title heading which will then appear at the top of the list.

As it now stands, your post is buried under the post of another member.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back