Logo

Engine and drive proplems

coghill

"My 290 drive is whining when

"My 290 drive is whining when I turn. Will that gimble bearing do that or is it u joints? Thats my small problem; I got twin 350's with carbs and after poor performance and stalling, checked compression to find between 85's and 125's (on port side). Did oil test that said compression loss from rings. I found a complete running take out with heat exchangers for $1800 but unknown hours and compression, OR new block with my stuff on it installed for 5,000 by some pros in Cordova. What would YOU do? Time is important because I am losing valuable fishing time."

"The good news is that you can

"The good news is that you can easily change out the gimball bearing on the port side drive when the engine is removed. You can try adding some grease to the bearing via the zerc fitting on the top of the bellhousing to see if the whining subsides.

As for repowering, I would strongly advise either a reputable remanufactured engine, or a crate engine. I would shy away from a used engine with unkown hours. Many times you inherit someone else's headaches.

If you are mechanically inclined swapping out an engine, or stripping a block to outfit a short, or long block is not overly difficult. Take a look at these prices:

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/engines/base/350.htm

http://www.propowermarine.com/350lhpre.htm

Personally I think $5K is high for the installation of a short block. What year is your powerplant? Most likely the hp of the first engine I hyperlinked outpowers your existing setup, so you will have to match inkind, but that link should give you an idea of cost."

"Well, I just got back from An

"Well, I just got back from Anchorage with the new used engine. It was supposedly running good when it came out. I just need something to get me through the season then re power with something new over winter. Thanks for the advise (even though I didn't get it till I bought this one) Those are good prices on that link. I'm going to try to stuff this engine in there."

"Ben,

I would advise pickin

"Ben,

I would advise picking up a Seloc manual, it will make your life much easier. Let us know how you make out with the install. Good luck."

"Thanks Mike. I got the new en

"Thanks Mike. I got the new engine in and am going to hopefully run it today. The ignition system on my old engine had a resistor while the new one did not so I put in my old wiring harness and coil. Do I need to switch out the rotor? Also the aft plugs on the exhaust manifold were badly corroded, do I need zincs in there?"

"I put the new engine in and i

"I put the new engine in and it ran fine for about 10 hours and then it started missing and stalling at low rpms. I would throttle up a little and it would still stall out and not start easily, exactly like the engine with low and erratic compression I just took out. Coincidence? Different engine, same problem. I am going to do a compression check today. The wire from the sensor on the intake manifold to the carb is MIA but it ran well for those 10 hours. Any ideas? Mike?"

"Try to run your misbehaving e

"Try to run your misbehaving engine from a jerrycan with fresh gas and see what happens. Also, I think that the wire that goes to the carb does not come from the intake manifold. If it goes to the electric choke, it should come from the (+) of the ignition coil."

There is one from the coil and

There is one from the coil and another from a T off the front of the intake manifold as well as a water temp sensor.
I got twins and the other engine is good running off the same 300 gallon tank and I changed the filters 20 hours ago. Any other ideas? Thanks.

"So after a different engine,

"So after a different engine, new fuel pump, swapping carbs, countless headaches 2 and a half weeks of missed fishin time it turned out to be a bad condenser. What would cause the condenser to go bad? Resistor?
Don't be like me and make brash assumptions, spend over $2000 before correctly identifying a $6 problem. Troubleshoot carefully."

"Here is even a better solutio

"Here is even a better solution: install a Pertronix electronic ignition kit on each dizzy (around $100 each, or cheaper if you shop around), then throw the points and condensers in the garbage can and start enjoying boating with peace of mind."

I have to leave on the boat to

I have to leave on the boat tomorrow. i will do that when I get some time. Would a bad resistor fry the condenser?

"Normally, it would fry the po

"Normally, it would fry the points. The condenser is to absorb/mitigate the arc that takes place whenever the points do open or close."

Back