Logo

Trailer light problems

moodyscruz

"Does anyone know why when I p

"Does anyone know why when I put my lights on my brake lights goes out. I put new lights on my trailer but used the old wiring. The turn signals work right, it's just when I have my foot on the brake and turn my lights on the brake lights go out. Any thoughts?"

This is my third attempt to an

This is my third attempt to answer your question.

As with most DC problems I'd wager you have a grounding problem. Your system is trying to find a ground and will do it by going through another light if it has to. Probably doesn't make sense but that's what happens. Check for good grounding on all lights concerned - even the ones that "are" working. Ensure they are grounded with good ground (very good ones).

"You may need a light module i

"You may need a light module if your car has seperate brake lights and tail lights
Here is an example for $24.00. You will have to determine what is right for your car. Example ;if you have a computer that indicates when a light is our then there is another model.
}http://www.hitchcorner.com/trailer_plugs.htm

Light Converter w/ 4-way Flat Plug (for vehicles with separate brake light and turn signals) with Integrated Circuit Protection.
Protects Both Trailer and Tow Vehicle From Short Circuit Conditions That Damage Sensitive Wiring Components
If Short Occurs, The Protector Can Be Reset Once The Wiring Problem Has Been Corrected
Protects up to 4 Amps Per Circuit"

"Thanks guy's and sorry Sk

"Thanks guy's and sorry Skip about taking so long to get in contact with me, I was away from the computer, I did check the ground and that was the problem, as with most boat trailers. I added a separate ground wire from each light to the ground at the plug and that did it. Thanks again."

Back