Logo

Yamaha Sterndrive

kmadden1

"Engine runs great (5.7 YE

"Engine runs great (5.7 YEMS), shift into forward and she goes right along just fine, try to put it into neutral, button goes in no problem, seems like it's in neutral but still in drive, shut off key and start, back in neutral. Reverse from neutral, bucks and stalls, reverse from drive it goes, and back to drive no problem. (low rpms of course as there is no neutral between the two).

Any thoughts on what is wrong?

Thanks!!"

"I have a 5.0 Yamaha I/O,it ha

"I have a 5.0 Yamaha I/O,it has a hard and inconsistant time going in reverse,it sounds as if two gears are not engaging and now I have lost several times the neutral saftey(its stays engagaed.If it is the cable do you know a mechanic in Reno Tahoe area??22ft Monteray 5.0/yamI/O PLEASE HELP Ken"

I just fixed the exact same pr

I just fixed the exact same problem this summer.
1. Make sure the magnet is in you shift Interruupt switch and it does matter what way it is facing($5.00).
2. Install new lower unit shift cable
3. Install new shift fork
Complete job less than $500.00 at Augusta marine parts and Labor.
I would have to go to neutral to get into forward or reverse and shut off the boat. Runs like a champ now.

Re: "Engine runs great (5.7 YE

"Engine runs great (5.7 YEMS), shift into forward and she goes right along just fine, try to put it into neutral, button goes in no problem, seems like it's in neutral but still in drive, shut off key and start, back in neutral. Reverse from neutral, bucks and stalls, reverse from drive it goes, and back to drive no problem. (low rpms of course as there is no neutral between the two).

Any thoughts on what is wrong?

Thanks!!"

Lots o crap out there about this problem.....Dont drill anything out..

I just fixed a friends, his cable was good, the stern side shifting fork moved with one finger, and as far as that idel interupt switch goes save your money and lower your idle..

first get two new gaskets to mount the stern.
next install two gaskets insted of one...problem solved.

Don't believe me just back up on the six screws that hold it on, and try it again..

It will shift just fine (until you put it back together)

Now do something nice for someone else :mad:~~~>:D

Using two gaskets is only masking the real problem. Two gaskets will space out the drive and the o-ring sealing the water opening will not seal properly and can cause overheating. The reason you are having to shim out the drive is the bronze fork has become squeezed together, usually by someone using pliers to move the fork. This tightens the V in the fork and it will not rotate from side to side.
You have to remember that the drive didn't just move forward and cause this problem. The drive is where its suppose to be, the problem is in the linkage.

Re: Yamaha Stern drive

Using two gaskets is only masking the real problem. Two gaskets will space out the drive and the o-ring sealing the water opening will not seal properly and can cause overheating. The reason you are having to shim out the drive is the bronze fork has become squeezed together, usually by someone using pliers to move the fork. This tightens the V in the fork and it will not rotate from side to side.
You have to remember that the drive didn't just move forward and cause this problem. The drive is where its suppose to be, the problem is in the linkage.

Well OK but it is shifting like a champ now, and the fork was in no way squeezed.

As a matter of fact the only wear was dead center of the fork. As if a thickness spec. for the gasket was changed over the years.....Seen that before haven't you.

I would think three gaskets is still thinner then the O-Ring you mentioned:eek:

The two gaskets is worth a shot... it's less then the shipping to your shop right..

Maybe my friend got lucky because his boat shifts perfectly now for the first time in 5 years, and his boat runs cool like me :cool:. Two weekends of pulling a tube on the lake so far..... no problem.... chilly willy style

Good luck

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply.....I have been spending allot of time on the lake..

The Yahaha Stern still running like a champ.....No problems to report.

Ken just because you have been working on Yamaha stern drives, don't make you an expert.

After all you have been basterdizing these drives for years with your $13 drill bit set....

P.S. If the fix was bailing wire....That would be better then drilling out a anything on the stern drive... Or shipping a drive accross the country.

It sounds like you might be a bit pissed......sorry for de-railing you gravy train.

I do it just to see the people having fun.......You make a living from it...

I am sure you are a great boat guy but really now....your just making yourself look silly.

Re: Yamaha Stern drive

Well OK but it is shifting like a champ now, and the fork was in no way squeezed.

As a matter of fact the only wear was dead center of the fork. As if a thickness spec. for the gasket was changed over the years.....Seen that before haven't you.

I would think three gaskets is still thinner then the O-Ring you mentioned:eek:

The two gaskets is worth a shot... it's less then the shipping to your shop right..

Maybe my friend got lucky because his boat shifts perfectly now for the first time in 5 years, and his boat runs cool like me :cool:. Two weekends of pulling a tube on the lake so far..... no problem.... chilly willy style

Good luck
Can you contact me on this I have this exact outdrive with the same issues 9512599383 my name is chris

Back