Logo

Battery Cable Length Too Short

valhalla

"Recently purchased a new Niss

"Recently purchased a new Nissan 8HP outboard w electric start. My boat is a Catalina 22 with the battery in the cabin area. The new battery cable is 8 ft. long but 3-4 ft too short. Are longer cables available from Nissan or any other source, or am I going to have to cut and splice using OEM cable stock ???"

"Nissan does not offer longer

"Nissan does not offer longer cables. What you should do is buy bulk cable in 12' length and add battery ends to it.

What most people do is create a 4' lead set, splice or bolt it to the factory set and then run it to the battery. The problem with doing this is that you will now have a point at which resistance will build causing voltage loss over the next few years."

"The best way to remedy the sh

"The best way to remedy the short cable problem is to buy a set of jumper cables at Wall-Mart or a local auto supply store and install terminals on the ends.
A set of short auto jumper cables are probably longer then you will ever need. If longer ones are needed, the jumper cables can be had up to 20 feet each and they will handle the start current easily.
Only thing is to be sure and get a pair that has a better outside coating than the cheap plastic that some have.
Bob N"

The jumper cable solution is a

The jumper cable solution is a good one and I enthusiastically endorse doing that over using the jumper method....When we need longer cables for an installation that's what we do.

Back