Logo

Why canbt I do this water leak

M

mike reynolds

"1994 Bayliner/Trophy w/5.7 al

"1994 Bayliner/Trophy w/5.7 alpha one - water leaking into bilge, a little while sitting in the water, more when cruising. I'm pretty sure it is the Y pipe connection at transome assembly, which would require engine removal and who knows what else. With everything dry outside the boat (on trailer) I started filling the bilge up to the starter, I soon noticed water seeping out the exhaust ports - I didn't notice any coming out the hub though. My question - Can I convert to top water exhaust? I could remove the outdrive and install an exhaust cover plate, simple, right? Then plumb the exhaust like any other go fast (without the fast) I get 40mph wot. What are your thoughts?"

"Harve,,no one wants to hear t

"Harve,,no one wants to hear that!! No matter that you're right.

Mike, B.O.A.T.= Break Out Another Thousand

Bob"

"What do you expect I'll f

"What do you expect I'll find when I pull the engine? Will the y pipe need to be replaced? Can it be pulled off, cleaned, and put back on? Is there a gasket between it and the inner transome plate? Does the inner transome plate need to be replaced also?
Thanks-Mike"

"Most of them just loosen ther

"Most of them just loosen there from vibration, if its been in salt they can corrode there bad. There is an oring in a groove. When you remove the y pipe, flat file the y pipe and look it over for corrosion that would inhibit a good seal, the gimbal housing where the groove is needs to be looked over as well. Purchase a new oring and install using some perfect seal, not silicone. Torque the bolts to the spec, I think its 25 ft/lbs. Reassemble"

""What do you expect I&#39

""What do you expect I'll find when I pull the engine? Will the y pipe need to be replaced?"

It's Very Common that the exhaust Flapper fails,+ falls down into the Y pipe,+ Wears a Hole in the pipe.......
You'll know,.. After you Remove it........"

Back