Logo

New Tohatsu owner of 1996 30hp model with question

crappiedog

"Hello,
Recently bought a 1

"Hello,
Recently bought a 1996 tohatsu 30hp and I have a comression check question. I can't find my old gauge so I swung by sears and bought a new one to check this engine out before buying. I went to look at the engine and the guy was pulling it out the shed when I drove up. Spider webs all over the thing. Anyway, we got it some fresh fuel mix and it fired right up. Ran it in a trash can for a good forty minutes. We shut it down and pulled the plugs and spun it with the compression checker gauge in. First cylinder 152psi. Second cylinder 152psi also. I checked this motor four times and only one time the lower cylinder gave a 151psi reading. Does anyone know what a 1996 Tohatsu 30HP motors compression should be? I'm thinking this cheap $30.00 gauge is screwed up or something. The guy told me the motor originally came on a small pontoon boat and was jerked off right away for a bigger HP motor and been in storage since. Is my gauge broke and what kinda reading should I be getting on this 1996 30HP Tohatsu? Thanks!

CD."

Hi there!

Replace the impel

Hi there!

Replace the impellor... as a matter of course. Not worth the heartache to find a new powerhead...

Regards!

"Benjamin,
I took your advi

"Benjamin,
I took your advise and bought a waterpump kit today. $74.00 isn't too bad from the dealer for this added security. Thanks for reminding me!

Mark.."

Back